Is There A Way To Tell If The Flour In My Canister Is Ap Or

Decorating By JustToEatCake Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm by JustToEatCake

JustToEatCake Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 9

SR? I bought some only a few months ago and I am NOT sure!! Thanks for any help.

8 replies
prterrell Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #2 of 9

Sorry, don't have any idea of how you could test the flour. In the future, have separate cannisters and label them!

lardbutt Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:35am
post #3 of 9

TASTE IT!

If it tastes good, it's S.R......if it tastes bad, it's A.P.!

Seriously though, the S.R. will taste kinda salty and A.P. will have a bland no taste.

Elise87 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #4 of 9
JustToEatCake Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:40am
post #5 of 9

Alrighty, tomorrow morning I am going to be eating me some flour! Thanks you guys!

BooBooKitty Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:10pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustToEatCake

Alrighty, tomorrow morning I am going to be eating me some flour! Thanks you guys!

LOL icon_lol.gif How did it go? I am from the school of when in doubt toss it out.. lol.. I almost tossed a whole chicken yesterday because I thought it had a different smell than the other chicken that I bought at the same time.. I was just about to toss it out when DH caught me. lol.. They were both from the same store and pkg on the same day *2 days before* I told him fine, he could eat off that side of the pan.. lol..

Mike1394 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:51pm
post #7 of 9

I wonder, never tried it. What if you put both in some hot acidic water? The SF I would think has to bubble.

Mike

eme926 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #8 of 9

Self rising has salt added, so a simple taste should determine the difference.

JustToEatCake Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 9

LOL..ok here is what happened with my AP vs SR test. I opened the canister and took out a bit in a measuring cup. Stuck my finger in...hmm...I don't know it tastes like flour, maybe there is some tingle..maybe. So, I did it again with a bit more and I was like..well?? Maybe I'm not sure, so I got some more..I'm not sure..Then I had a brainstorm, OPEN the NEW AP bag and taste it! So I took a spoonful out and tasted it and WHAMO! No taste at all. Nothing just like plain dust..lol..tested the other one and yep there is the ever so slightest taste of salt when compared. I'll say this, if you THINK you taste salt it's SR because when you taste AP you taste nothing, IMHO you know distinctively that there is nothing salty at all! So I put the whole AP flour bag in a ziploc bag and into the fridge it went (I keep lots of stuff in the fridge). Thank you all so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%