Metal Cookie Cutters

Baking By pinkcupcake512 Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 12:27pm by pinkcupcake512

pinkcupcake512 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 10

Hello!

I have a lot of metal cookie cutters and I've noticed they get rusty quick, and I have to buy a new one all over again, some cutters I can't find in plastic or not find it at all.... I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas or tricks on how to make them last.

any ideas will be appreciated..thank you!

9 replies
CookieO Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 10

I dry my off right away, and sometimes I pop them in a warm oven as well to make sure there is no water/moisture hiding anywhere. Haven't had one rust yet.

sadsmile Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 10

You water may be corrosive, with all the chemicals they put in there to kill the bacteria and well water could have sulfur. Anything you want to stay nice a new needs to be washed immediately, dried thoroughly and put away.

cindy58 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 10

I don't let mine sit in water at all. I wash them one at a time by swishing them rapidly in hot soapy water. Rinse immediately, shake off water, and set to dry cutter side down on a dish towel. It's working so far!

pinkcupcake512 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 10

thank you all for your replies..

I wonder if there's like a safe glaze to cover the metal cutters to make them last longer.

I wash them right away but would leave them in the dish rack, but haven't been doing that since I had to replace a few cutters..

thank you!

TracyLH Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:07am
post #6 of 10

I do the same thing CookieO does and pop them in a warm oven. For storage, I then put them in ziploc bags. Not one problem this way.

cookiemookie Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:54am
post #7 of 10

I do the exact thing as TracyLH. Been doing it for years and have never had a rusty cutter. I do this with my decorating tips also!

My DH even knows the routine in case I get tired and when he comes home from work and sees cutters, he does the same for me.

Small cutters go on a tray with the tips. If I've only used a few cutters the toaster oven works great.

staceycake Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:12am
post #8 of 10

Great tips on using the oven to dry them out. I'm definitely going to do that next time! Thanks!

CookieO Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:07am
post #9 of 10

I do the same Tracy, with the ziplock bag storage, then they go in a plastic bin.

If they'll be stored for a while, they definitely go in the oven after washing. If I'll use them again really soon, a good towel drying has worked.

I never let them sit in water when washing and never let them air dry on their own in a dish drainer.

pinkcupcake512 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:27pm
post #10 of 10

thanks to everyone for your response..
I will be putting them in the oven after I wash them..

have a good day everyone!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%