Cake And Filling Combinations

Decorating By mjmcclure Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 2:07am by grams

mjmcclure Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #1 of 12

Hey Guys! I'm going to be making a cake for my family for Christmas to show off my new skills, lol. What are some of your favorite, Cake and Filling Combinations? I want to make something they will love! Thanks for any suggestions. icon_smile.gif

11 replies
SandiOh Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:43pm
post #2 of 12

you mean holiday flavors?

indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 12

I think it's more dependent on what THEY like, and less on what you'd like to make.

YOu can bring the prettiest pumpkin cake with apple-ginger filling in the world ..... but I'm not letting it within 3 feet of my taste buds and neither would most of my family because they don't like those flavors. My youngest wants chocolate cake ... always. My son-in-law like white cake with white icing filling covered in white icing. Period.

So knowing your family and what they like to eat is the biggest factor in how well your cake is appreciated and how much they'll like it.

SandiOh Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:18pm
post #4 of 12

i agree.

cakefairy03 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:42pm
post #5 of 12

My family would shove anything I make in their faces (I mean that in a good way!) So, if your family is like mine, I would say try out a new flavor...you never know what could become the next favorite thing! But if you know there is something they all don't like, obviously don't make that. I am making new flavors and combos all the time.

Here are some of my favorites:
Chocolate and caramel
Chocolate or white and raspberry
White and strawberry
Chocolate and marshmallow
Chocolate and peppermint bc

I think my list could go on forever, but these are some of the faves! HTH!

tmelrose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #6 of 12

What kind of cake would go good with Bavarian Cream filling? I bought some at my local bakery but haven't used it yet.

grams Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:08am
post #7 of 12

Bavarian cream filling with dark chocolate fudge cake is what 50% of my requests are for.

indydebi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 4:08am
post #8 of 12

chocolate cake with bavarian creme is kinda like a boston creme pie type of cake.

Icing2009 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:06am
post #9 of 12

Do an italian cream cake without the pecans with white chocolate cream cheese icing and strawberries in between layers. trust me it is to die for!!!It will look all gourmet and expensive but it is cheap and easy to do, I love that cake and make it all the time but try more new things here and there. My sons christmas party cake will be choc with cookies and cream filling and I am trying a different filling than what other people use.

tmelrose Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:45pm
post #10 of 12

Mmmmmm dark chocolate fudge cake does sound good! I'll have to try with my bavarian. Do use one of the recipes here? I see several on here.

juststarted Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 12

I am a newbie in cake making, but on my son's birthday I made a white chocolate cake (Anna Olson's recipe) with buttercream filling and icing and everyone raved about it. You can try raspberry filling/sliced strawberries with buttercream instead. whatever you decide to make, I'am sure it'll be a big hit.

grams Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 2:07am
post #12 of 12

Sorry, nothing fancy or different just Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%