Icing Bulges And Border Sliding Down The Side Of The Cake...

Decorating By howdydoody Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 3:21pm by howdydoody

howdydoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howdydoody Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:29pm
post #1 of 9

I am having a really hard time with icing that bulges from between the layers on my 2 layer cake....also, my border around the top edge of the cake "slides off"...
Have a feeling that "my problem" is that I use ALL salted butter in my buttercream... Can anyone help me? Thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 9

If you are using an all-butter buttercream, you can use temperature to your advantage. Try chilling things through the process and see what a difference it makes!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:11pm
post #3 of 9

And no more salted butter...ick.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:05am
post #4 of 9

Hi there,

The problem is not that your butter is salted. I use nothing but salted butter in my buttercream frosting and it's delicious. The problem is there is air in your cake and as it settles, it pushes out the sides. You're putting too much frosting on the edges.

Check out this link: http://www.cakeboss.com/PreventBulging.aspx

It helped me tremendously with this same problem. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 1:20am
post #5 of 9

You're not letting your cake settle. I torte, fill and then wrap my cakes in plastic wrap, then set them on the counter with 1 ceramic tile on top. Takes about three hours. Overnight is ideal. Use a ceramic tile roughly the same size as the cake.

Do you really need that top border?

ardenrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ardenrae Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 2:32am
post #6 of 9

Hi,
I have discovered that putting a "dam" of thicker buttercream 1/4 inch from the edge of the cake letting it set for a bit ... and then putting the filling inside the "Dam" is the trick....(then put the second layer on top)...
Hope this helps

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 9

@Jamie - the salted butter would be bad in a meringue buttercream yes, but I love it in a powdered sugar-based one.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 3:43am
post #8 of 9

Are you doing the border on the edge of the cake? If so you may be doing it too close to the side and that is why it is sliding. As far as the buldge are you over filling and/or not giving it time to settle?

howdydoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howdydoody Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 3:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks so much to all for the advice....
I will give them a try... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%