High Altitude Baking - Help! All My Cakes Crumble!

Baking By BakedEis Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm by mightydragon663

BakedEis Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:08pm
post #1 of 5

I am a beginner and have been experimenting with several different recipes. No matter what I do, I still have very crumbly cakes and they are difficult to frost/fill and carve.

I tried the modified box recipe adding an extra egg, pudding & sour cream, very delicious but still the same problem.

We live in Colorado and I wonder if it's the high altitude that is messing me up. Does anyone have some advice on this?

Thank you ALL!

4 replies
tootie0809 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm
post #2 of 5

I live in a high altitude area as well. I use mostly extender recipes, but I've also had good success with many scratch recipes. I usually don't modify my recipes too much for high altitude. I tried all the different methods like adding extra flour, less sugar, less baking powder, etc., but I never got any really noticeable results. The one thing though that I do, is I bake at a higher temperature, usually 10-25 degrees higher, as it allows the cake to rise and set up quicker and not fall. As far as your cakes being crumbly, I'm not really sure. Have you tried the WASC recipe? I've never had any problems with this one, athough it is a moist cake, so carving it can be a little trickier so I always thoroughly chill a cake before filling, icing, and carving. Wish I had some better advice for you, but sometimes it's just tweaking a recipe until you finally find what works for you and then sticking with those modificaitons. Good luck!

swapnilgupta Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:40pm
post #3 of 5

I also live in englewood,colorado.....I always use the wasc recipe for my cakes.....and they come out great...i bake at 325 C.....
hope this helps...

BakedEis Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you so much!!! I'll be trying these!

mightydragon663 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 5

I live at 9300 feet and know exactly what you are going through. There is a book called "Pie in the Sky", and it is the best book for high altitude baking that I have found. I highly recommend it. I think I got it on Amazon. It made such a huge difference in my cakes, cookies and breads.

Quote by @%username% on %date%