What Do You Use For 'feet' Under A Cake Board?

Decorating By MrsNancyB1 Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 10:32pm by MalibuBakinBarbie

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:10am
post #1 of 20

I need to make a footed cake board, but I'm not sure what to use for 'feet'. Does Michaels or similar store sell feet? I haven't seen anything in those stores.

Any ideas? TIA!

19 replies
this-mama-rocks Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:27am
post #2 of 20

I hot glue pieces of leftover foamboard onto the bottom

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:46am
post #3 of 20

And there's my answer.

What is this box that everyone keeps telling me to think outside of?? icon_biggrin.gif

Rylan Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:48am
post #4 of 20

Hi Nancy,

If you are planning to use a wooden board, I suggest you check out the moulding/wood section of any hardware stores. You can find really nice wood pieces that you can use for feet. They have those wood pieces you see on many furnitures.

Sagebrush Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 6:02am
post #5 of 20

I didn't get around to trying it, but I was planning on gluing some lids from water bottles to the bottom of my cake board for feet.

cherrycakes Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 6:08am
post #6 of 20

I use pieces of felt that they sell for putting under the legs of chairs to protect the floors. They come in precut circles or large pieces that I cut apart. I like them because they already have adhesive on them and they are soft so they don't scratch the table that you put the cake onto. They are not very thick but thick enough to get your fingers underneath the board to lift it up.

cylstrial Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 20

I also just cut a piece of foam board smaller than the cake board and then hot glue it to the bottom. Works like a charm! I just put ribbon around the edge to cover it up!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 20
Originally Posted by sagebrush

I didn't get around to trying it, but I was planning on gluing some lids from water bottles to the bottom of my cake board for feet.

I probably have different water bottle lids than you do, but one side would mar the table top and the other side would slide.

tichay Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 20

We bought cabinet knobs ... you can get them plain, in colors, wooden or metal ...

I have wooden bases for all my cakes, so my husband drilled some holes, screwed and glued in the knobs and then sanded the tops for a flat finish. since I cover the boards for each cake .. the only part that shows are the feet from a distance ..

TexasSugar Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:50pm
post #10 of 20

I've used little wooden blocks I bought at Michaels.

kjt Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 20

I use the "collars" that I pry off the SPS legs...they are the perfect height for "finger room" and they are FREE! icon_biggrin.gif

adamsgama Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 20

I use the lids to old canning jars. I hot glue them to the bottom of the board.

tatorchip Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:01pm
post #13 of 20

I saw a wedding cake that had the small candle holders in the color that matched the cake glued to the bottom of the board, it was so pretty and I had to really look close to see what they really were, they fit in so well with the decor on the table. The cake was small but the way it was set up made a large WOW, I don't know how it was glued on but it didn't move at all. They must have used a glass type of glue. I had to drag myself away from it. lol

KHalstead Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:32pm
post #14 of 20

I've used the lids from 2 liter soda bottle (or 20 oz. bottles), just a smaller circle than the board cut out of foam core board (I do this for really heavy cakes so there is no chance in the board buckling under the weight..........this is if you're not using a solid wood base board).........also have used wooden beads from the craft store (you can get a decent sized pack with about 50 or so for a couple bucks)...they have a hole in the center but each side with the hole is slightly flattened which makes it look like a ball when it's standing, but it's stable because it is slightly flattened.

MrsNancyB1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #15 of 20

Thanks everyone! These are all great ideas for me to choose from. icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:07pm
post #16 of 20

I use 3/4" plywood for all my wedding cake bases. My DH just screws some slats of wood under them so I can get my fingers under the board.

Works like a charm!

Jen icon_smile.gif

bakingatthebeach Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:29pm
post #17 of 20

I use the collars off of the sps plates also, just hot glued them onto the cakeboard, one each corner and one in the middle so the board wouldnt sag (my square wedding cake in my pics was heavy lol)

mommicakes Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:32pm
post #18 of 20

If it is a cake that needs to really stand tall, I use the short "table" legs that you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. Otherwise, I use drawer pull handles, or cabinet handles, I have some that are clear crystal looking, and some that look like wrought iron. Pretty cool. You could use anything. icon_biggrin.gif

ericaplh Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:29pm
post #19 of 20

I use the "female" part of the coupler...and hot glue 4 or 5 of them under the cake board. icon_biggrin.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 10:32pm
post #20 of 20

I do what cherrycakes does. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%