How Much For An All Day Delivery?

Business By CakeForte Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm by CakeForte

CakeForte Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:52am
post #1 of 6

A potential client is getting married in a small town 4 hours away.

She suggested this I'm guessing money isn't really an issue on this occasion.

My total trip would be 8 hours. I might even have to stay the night depending on the time of the event.

In which case I'll probably propose a full cake + cake cutting service since she's going to have to have me exclusively anyway.

What do you suggest? I have an idea in mind....but I want to see if you all are in agreement.

I don't want to sound all cray-zay when I speak with her. lol

5 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:00am
post #2 of 6

I know photog's who required paid hotel rooms if they have to drive 3 hours one way.

A MINIMUM of $25/hour to cut-n-serve. your time starts when you finish setting up the cake and ends when you pack up your stuff and walk out the door when you're all finished. 4 hour minimum.

Yes, they WILL pay you to sit in the kitchen and read a book until they are ready for the cake cutting.

No, they are NOT going to get by with making you sit there all night long and then only pay you for the 15 minutes it takes to cut-n-serve a cake.

If your kid, who works at McDonalds, isn't waiting on a customer, don't they still get paid, even if they are just standing around waiting for a car to come thru the drive-thru? You bet your patootie they are!

I charge $1.25/mile ROUND TRIP for delivery. Based on 4 hours, let's just assume 60 mph = 60 miles traveled x 4 hours = 240 miles x 2 for round trip = 480 miles x $1.25/mile = $600 delivery ..... PLUS cake cutting fee of MINIMUM $100 .... PLUS bride pays for hotel accommodations.

These fees are not just to cover your time at her wedding. They are also designed to cover your Lost Opportunity costs. You could easily do two other cakes and deliver them locally ... *IF* you weren't tied up for 2 days (if you're spending the night, you're tied up for 2 days) on her wedding.

She wants your service ... she pays for your time. She's not paying just for the cake ... she's paying for your vehicle use, your time, your travel, your time, your lost opportunities, and did I mention your time? icon_rolleyes.gif

CakeForte Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 6

well I KNEW you would be in agreement w/ me. lol.

I'm thinking the cost cake plus $1k. That's for me, my assistant to travel and work plus the hotel room.

leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:09pm
post #4 of 6

I try to book 3 weddings cakes for every Saturday. If I can only take one, then the delivery fee will be my average sale for the two cakes I can't take that day.

So, cost of the cake plus $1000 for delivery. Period, no discussion.

LaBellaFlor Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:49pm
post #5 of 6

WHOA! What everyone else said, PLUS the cost of your assistant. PLEASE, let us know if she pays. I stay very local, cause it seems a lot of people are really out of touch with the TIME involved in delivering a cake 3 hours away.

CakeForte Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 6

We'll see what she says. I have no problem telling people "NO" or "this what the cost is".

I've probably turned away a lot of events this year...but I sure haven't stressed myself out over some cake either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%