Refrigerating Left Over Cake Batter

Decorating By armywife1 Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 6:55pm by CristyInMiami

armywife1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:57am
post #1 of 17

Just wondering if it can be done, and if so, for how long. Will it affect the cake when I bake it? I just made some batter, but was left with a lot of extra. I wasn't sure if this was already a topic in the forum. I searched, but it didn't turn up any results. TIA for anyone's help with this matter.

16 replies
indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:26am
post #2 of 17

I refrigerate boxed cake mix batter all the time. It bakes up just as well as when I first mix it.

I refrigerate scratch choc cake batter, using the recipe on the side of the Hershey Cocoa can. Can't tell any difference at all.

I've also frozen batter in a cake pan and pretty much took it from freezer to oven with no difference in the end result.

juleebug Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:41am
post #3 of 17

Debi - How long can you leave it refrigerated/frozen?

indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 17

To me, freezing anything means I can keep it just short of forever. If properly wrapped and sealed to prevent freezer burn, etal.

I've kept batter for a week or so, but since I baked every weekend, I could usually pull it out and use it pretty quick.

andlydle Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:05am
post #5 of 17

would you say it's better to refrigerate/freeze the batter than to bake it and freeze?

indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:15am
post #6 of 17

Sorry, it's the good 'ole "depends" answer! icon_biggrin.gif

I will bake cakes and freeze them to use at my sampling appointments.

Sometimes it's nice to have some extra batter in the 'frig for those little odd jobs. I had a wedding cake in which they wanted the 6" top tier to be marble. I was making a massive batch of white batter for the majority of the cake anyway, but it was really great to be able to just grab some choc batter from the 'frig and mix a couple of big spoonsfuls in the white batter to make the small marble cake instead of mixing up a whole batch of choc batter.

More than once, I've need just that LITTLE extra amount of batter to get the amount of batter in the pan that I like. How nice not to have to make up a whole 'nuther batch when I can grab the little extra I need right from the 'frig.

I think you'd have to have a pretty consistent and heavy baking schedule for that to be a real benefit for you, though.

juleebug Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 8:46am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

More than once, I've need just that LITTLE extra amount of batter to get the amount of batter in the pan that I like. How nice not to have to make up a whole 'nuther batch when I can grab the little extra I need right from the 'frig.

I have this problem on a pretty regular basis. Nice to know there's an option rather than freezing the cake.

armywife1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 17

Thanks indydebi! You are great!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

uberathlete Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm
post #9 of 17

indydebi when you refrigerate cake batter and are about to bake, do you let it come to room temp first?

indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberathlete

indydebi when you refrigerate cake batter and are about to bake, do you let it come to room temp first?

No.

Shannie13 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks so much for this information!!!

kjt Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:56pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:

Quote:

No.

icon_confused.gif seriously...

Debi, I bet you could give Alton Brown a run for his money. The stuff you know-amazing, really.

leah_s Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:03pm
post #13 of 17

Stands with Debi.

I refrigerate batter all the time. As do bakeries. They could not survive without being able to hold batter. And no, there's no need to let it come to room temp.

indydebi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:19pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjt

Quote:

Quote:

No.

icon_confused.gif seriously...

Debi, I bet you could give Alton Brown a run for his money. The stuff you know-amazing, really.

What's funny is that the stuff I "know" is just gut instinct and things I've done for years without knowing why. Like not refrigerating cakes or my icing. It never occured to me why or how it worked ... I just knew that it did. It was only after coming here to CC that I found out the scientific reasoning (thanks, JanH!).

psmith Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 17

This is great info to know! I love these forums! Thanks Debi!

andlydle Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 17

so since i'm not baking on a super regular basis (i end up throwing out a lot of batter) if i wanted to freeze it could i just put it in an airtight container and then let it thaw before transferring it to a pan (i don't have a lot to just leave them in the freezer) or would it really be best to just have it in the fridge?
i figure i'll be fine with the refrigeration, but sometimes my fridge gets a little crowded, so i just wanted to be sure.

CristyInMiami Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 6:55pm
post #17 of 17

***hugs debi***

You have saved much batter from getting thrown out again. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%