Decorating By King-Girlz Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 2:12pm by Loucinda

King-Girlz Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:33am
post #1 of 5

I am a beginner and would like to make my daughter a tiara/crown on the top of her birthday cake this upcoming Jan? Any ideas for beginners on how to do this?

4 replies
swapnilgupta Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:43am
post #2 of 5

u can make the tiara out of gumpaste ...i used a clay extruder and a template from CC.......
they are much more sturdy then those made out of royal icing...
u can check the one i have in my photos...

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:17am
post #4 of 5

I did a royal icing tiara last year for a friend's daughter. I used the egg white royal icing recipe because it dries harder (stronger). I printed a template from this site and enlarged/reduced it to the size I needed. My husband purchased pvc pipe for me and cut it to the size I needed. After I washed/dried the pipe, I taped the template to it, then taped waxed paper over that. Then I piped the royal icing over the pattern. Let it dry several hours before overpiping another layer (I think I did 3 layers). I worked on four at a time, to allow for possible breakage. I gave them at least a full day of dry time before even attempting to ever-so-carefully remove it from the pipe. Then I mixed lemon extract with luster dust and painted them.

I have seen some of the lovely gumpaste tiaras that CC members have posted here. (I don't have an extruder, so I haven't been able to try one yet.) The lines are a lot cleaner and neater, in my opinion.

Tiaras make such a pretty topper on a special cake! Good luck with yours! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 5

I have made them out of royal, white chocolate and gumpaste. The gumpaste one wins hands down over the other two. The lines are much cleaner (as PP said) and they are a LOT stronger, not nearly as fragile as the other two are.

If you have any questions on doing a gumpaste one, just ask! You can see mine in my pics also.

Quote by @%username% on %date%