How Do I...

Decorating By manomi Updated 9 Dec 2009 , 12:45am by manomi

manomi Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 12

Hi every one,
This weekend i made a cake with black satin ice.Here is the link to the cake:
the black fondant dried to an almost dark gray ( i don't use powdered sugar or corn starch to roll it out) Next time i would like it to be more black. Do u think I should add black color to it before rolling it out? Is there a better brand for black fondant?
Also I would have liked it to have a shiny look.I am thinking steamer maybe? Should i have used it on each tiered separately or after the cake is assembled? would it be okay to steam it after the white part is attached to the black one?or before attaching the drapery. Would steaming it make it bleed?
I'm sorry its long icon_redface.gif TIA!!!

11 replies
cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 12

I love you cake and the color looks fine to me. We've used the Satin Ice black fondant to make a cake of two tires and it the color came out exactly as it should have. Did you add anything into the color?

I don't see what you are when I look at your photo, and it looks great to me. I don't know in regard to steaming, but I myself would play it safe and if I were going to steam it, I'd do it before adding the other colors to it. Black does like to run.

manomi Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks icon_smile.gif No i didn't add any color but I am thinking maybe next time i will add black to it. Not sure if it would make any difference to it or not, but i will try.

lecie Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:19pm
post #4 of 12

I use the steamer after I completed the entire cake, by the way beautiful wedding cake

tonedna Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 12

That happened to me once in a batch of their icing. But before we accuse the batch, make sure your fondant is not under UV lights. This can help the colors fade.
But, yes you can add black color if you need too.
Edna icon_smile.gif

Peridot Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 12

You cake is beautiful and on the photo it looks dark brown. I have used black satin ice and mine is coal black, so black that I added some white fondant to it. I also used cornstarch when I rolled out the stripes for my cake and it was still as black as black can be and dried to a perfect black. How disappointing that this happewnd to you as your cake is fantastic.

manomi Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:09pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the advice every one..Peridot,when i use strips of black for my cake,they fry to a perfect black. But this happened when i covered the entire cake in black. I think next time i will add some color.
Edna, do u think I can steam this cake as it is after I completed it entirely? or do u think the colors would have bleeded?

tonedna Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm
post #8 of 12

I am not one that likes to steam the cakes after they are done. I don't like the way the fondant looks after it's steamed.. Is a matter of opinion I guess. Some people seem to love it.
Edna icon_smile.gif

manomi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:03am
post #9 of 12

Edna, is there another way to make the cakes glossy?
Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:17am
post #10 of 12

The only time I've used black fondant was for a train cake. I started with dark chocolate Satin Ice fondant and added black coloring. Came out black. Tasted great too. Like a tootsie roll.

I don't think steaming it will make the black run. I seem to remember an episode of Cake Boss where Buddy was making toy soldier cakes for a FAO Schwartz birthday party. He used black and red fondant and steamed them to look shiny. I didn't notice any running.

tonedna Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:29am
post #11 of 12
Originally Posted by marianauman

Edna, is there another way to make the cakes glossy?
Thanks a lot icon_smile.gif

I didn't know that you where looking for the fondant to be glossy.
If a gloss is what you are looking for, steam will give it to you. Another way is using crisco over the fondant. You put it on like hand cream and then massage all over. I get the excess off with a paper towel.

Some people use confectioners glaze, but I never used it all over a cake.
Only for details.
Edna icon_smile.gif

manomi Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%