Sarah's Red Velvet Recipe

Decorating By ailika Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm by __Jamie__

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:52pm
post #1 of 9

I've done numerous red velvet cakes before but today I decided to do Sarah's I doubled the recipe because I was doing more than one cake. My problem is that I baked the cake for almost an hour because the time it calls for didn't bake properly. After the hour I took the cake out and waited and cut it in half across now I see spots all over some are cooked and some look like it didn't cook well. What do you think caused this to happen? I followed the recipe to the T

8 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ailika

I've done numerous red velvet cakes before but today I decided to do Sarah's I doubled the recipe because I was doing more than one cake. My problem is that I baked the cake for almost an hour because the time it calls for didn't bake properly. After the hour I took the cake out and waited and cut it in half across now I see spots all over some are cooked and some look like it didn't cook well. What do you think caused this to happen? I followed the recipe to the T

I highly recommend this one instead. It's basically the same idea but tweaked...like it says: http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

As far as baking times, I ignore those completely on all recipes I use. I set the timer to 325, and start checking when my spidey sense tells me it might be time. If my toothpick isn't clean with a few crumbs at the most, it stays in. Possibly use a flower nail if you are baking a larger one.

__Jamie__ Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:55pm
post #3 of 9

Something tells me that is the same recipe you used...lol.

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:07pm
post #4 of 9

It sure is the same recipe. Now I put the 2nd batch into a pan and baking it on a lower temp baked at 300 for 20 minutes and just turned it to 325 for another 20 minutes I pray it comes out right otherwise I'm lost lol. I should've stuck to my old recipe lol icon_cry.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 9

Why are you changing the temperature during baking? Don't do that.

Check your oven temperature with an oven thermometer, first off. Secondly, use 2" deep pans - not 3" deep pans. Thirdly, use Bake Even Strips or wet terrycloth towel strips on the outside of your pans.

If you follow these baking instructions and have properly prepared the recipe, you should not have any problems. I've made that recipe for hundreds upon hundreds of servings in just about every size cake pan there is. icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Why are you changing the temperature during baking? Don't do that.

Check your oven temperature with an oven thermometer, first off. Secondly, use 2" deep pans - not 3" deep pans. Thirdly, use Bake Even Strips or wet terrycloth towel strips on the outside of your pans.

If you follow these baking instructions and have properly prepared the recipe, you should not have any problems. I've made that recipe for hundreds upon hundreds of servings in just about every size cake pan there is. icon_smile.gif

I LOVE this recipe. Love love love.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:04pm
post #7 of 9

This is the only red velvet recipe I use and I've never had a problem with it. I always bake at 325 and if it's larger then 8" I use a flower nail in the middle of the pan as a heating core.

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 9

So there is no vinegar in it except what's in the buttermilk...hmmm! So, does it have a subtle bit of a twang like RV should because of the amount of buttermilk? I'm seriously on the hunt for a RV and this one looks like Dee Wilson's...but her's is less butter...I LOVE butter! icon_smile.gif I'm going to the store tonight to grab some more! I made Rose Levy's (Cake Bible lady) again so I can compare it to this one....

Thanks!

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 9

Subtle tang from the buttermilk, yep! So light and fluffy too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%