Covering A Cake With Chocolate Ganache Questions

Decorating By Alicia0620 Updated 29 Jul 2020 , 3:30pm by SandraSmiley

dm321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dm321 Posted 13 Sep 2010 , 5:05am
post #61 of 73

i've always wanted to try ganache under fondant, but I've been too scared. I think you all have given me the courage to try... Thanks for all these great tips! I just love cc!

~diem

cloetzu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cloetzu Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:16am
post #62 of 73

Just reading this for the first time and can't wait to try it! Also want to thank Rylan for all her input and responses to my pms!! She's convinced me that Ganache is the way to go!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how folks get the ganache sooooo smooth? dipping spatula in hot water? or other methods?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 2:27am
post #63 of 73

Sure it has been mentioned:

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/05/covering-cake-in-ganache.html

"Tip: I set my turntable (its a 20 Lazy Susan) on the counter next to my stove. I turn on the gas burner/flame to super, super low and wave the edge of the stainless steel scraper over it for about 5 seconds to warm it up (here is the link to scraper I use), scrape the Ganache off the sides of the cake, scrape the excess off the scraper into a bowl, use a moist towel to wipe the scraper clean, then heat it up again over the flame and repeatrepeatrepeat until you are completely happy with the sides. Always scrape the excess Ganache off the scraper before laying it back up against the cake again. Heating the scraper helps it glide smoothly over the Ganache. You can also dip the scraper into hot water instead of using the flame but be sure to dry it really well; water and chocolate just dont do well together!"

cloetzu Posted 5 Oct 2010 , 1:42pm
post #64 of 73

thanks! I must have missed it!

the Sugar Sweet Cakes post really helped! Pictures really help and make a big difference!

I actually have an electric stove top (gas isn't very popular around here - yet ) so can't do that ... A glass or bowl of hot water on the counter seems to cool too fast so instead I may try putting a pot of water on to boil and leave it boiling while i dip my spatula or scrapper in it !!

cloetzu Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 8:55pm
post #65 of 73

i just made a ganache out of semi sweet chocolate and heavy cream 600grams of chocolate to 300 grams of cream... it's been about 2 hrs and although thicker not like a thick peanut butter.... will it set or is it done? hmmmmm...

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 11:04pm
post #66 of 73

I sometimes place mine in the refrigerator for a little while to hurry up the process. If I get it too firm, I give it a few seconds in the microwave then stir until I get the consistency I want. I refrigerate any left over and treat it the same way. I use a lot of ganache. I just love it and the way it handles!

frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 9 Oct 2010 , 11:18pm
post #67 of 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

I just love it and the way it handles!

I agree! I just used ganache to ice a cake under fondant for the first time today and will be doing it from now on. Plus, an added bonus for my waistline is that I hate chocolate, so I won't be tempted to eat the cake scraps.

medusas_touch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
medusas_touch Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 12:15am
post #68 of 73

Another trick is if you know you have limited time, chill your cake in the fridge before you put the ganache on. You'll need to be quick as it will set up fast. Then pop it back in the fridge for maybe 10 mins. Once it's set it shouldn't soften to much. HTH.

cloetzu Posted 10 Oct 2010 , 8:25pm
post #69 of 73

It did end up getting a bit firmer but still more like a soft peanut butter vs thick peanut butter... I put it in the fridge for about 10 min and then it was too stiff so I put it in the microwave for about 15 seconds - it was then perfect! I did notice that once I got it onto the cake it set up really fast - got really hard. forgot to take a picture but it turned out great! Definately something I will do again.

However when I added the fondant over it the edges were no where near as crisp (over the top edge of a round cake)... posted a question about it here: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6968371.html#6968371

One of the main reasons I tried the ganache was to get a less rounded edge but not sure what when wrong???

Persephanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Persephanie Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 4:18am
post #70 of 73

I'm making a chocolate unicorn cake with chocolate frosting and covered in marshmellow fondant.  I was thinking of trying out ganche under my fondant as a crumb coat.  Should I use the ganche between the layers too or use a chocolate frosting between layers? I was thinking of using swiss buttercream for the mane instead of American Buttercream. I'm worried that there will be too many different flavors working against each other. How far in advance can I make ganche and is it better to use chips or baking bars? Any feed back is welcome,  thanks!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 2:38pm
post #71 of 73

It seems to me the only flavors involved are chocolate and vanilla, which is a match made in heaven.  I always use vanilla in my chocolate cakes anyway.

I've always used buttercream of one kind or another to fill my ganached cakes, but you could certainly use it between the layers.  You can whip it in the mixer for a lighter consistency than what you will be using to frost the cake.  If you are planning to use SMBC for the mane, it would be a perfect filling for your cake, help to lighten up the chocolate a bit.  

I've used all kinds of chocolate for ganache, from very expensive to candy melts, and there is not a world of difference in flavor because there is a relatively small amount of ganache in each bite.  Chocolate chips, having been designed to stay whole in cookies, etc., are harder to melt than other forms of chocolate, but they will melt with patience and do just fine.  Some people swear chocolate chips will not work, but they will.  Some people are horrified at the idea of using anything less than the finest chocolate.  No me, they all work and they all taste good.

If you are unable to reply, just start a new post and refer back to this one.

Persephanie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Persephanie Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 2:59pm
post #72 of 73

Thank you.  I'm just an over thinker and paranoid and I'm nervous to try something new.  Thank you!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Jul 2020 , 3:30pm
post #73 of 73

I think you will love ganache, Persephanie!  I put it off for so long, but I can get the best finish and sharpest edges with ganache.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%