Need Instructions For A Vintage Candlelit Cake

Decorating By cakeaddictunite Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm by cownsj

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 14

I recieved a vintage 1976 wiltons candlelit cake pan and it has no instructions on how to decorate it.I'm planning on making it for hubbys work Christmas party next week. if any one has them could you please send me a copy to me???? icon_biggrin.gif thank you so much.

13 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:44pm
post #2 of 14

Have you tried looking on the Wilton site? They have instructions for a lot of their old pans.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 14

I couldn't find the instructions on the wilton site but I did find what the pan looks line on another site. I have 2 of those pans and I think I have the instructions. I'll look when I get home tonight and let you know. If you PM me your email address i scan them and send them to you.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 14

If this is the cake pan you, I have to say I love it and the results making it. It was one of my first cake pans and I still use it.

http://slice-heaven.com/system/0000/8106/pdf_3-D_Tree_or_StandUpTree2105-750.pdf

Here is the entire list of cake pan instructions this site offers. They also offer to find you directions if they don't already have them.
http://slice-heaven.com/store/show/FREE%20PAN%20INSTRUCTION

I just did a quick scan of these particular instructions and notice that they don't show the photo of the cake on the box with the lit candles. They are done using uncooked spaghetti. (I'll do a quick look and see if I can find my pan and instructions. I always pack it away with all my Christmas decorations)

I actually found it, I'll see if I can figure out the scanner on my new printer.

cakeaddictunite Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 14

I have tried that site and I couldnt find it icon_sad.gif

cakeaddictunite Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 14

thank you but thats not the cake icon_sad.gif cownsj

Likim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Likim Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 14

They have instructions for sale on ebay. Item # 350286866556
Hope this helps.

cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:14pm
post #8 of 14

Is this the pan you have? Worse case scenario, if I can't get the instructions scanned into my computer, I'll type them out for you. Did you look at the instructions from my last post for the other directions for the tree cake pan? (photo is here in ebay if it didn't attach: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200400595958&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=WVI7&GUID=4adc57df1250a0b583813bd1fff829f4&itemid=200400595958&ff4=263602_263622 )
LL

cakeaddictunite Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 14

That is the cake pan i got but I dont know how much cake batter to use or how long to cook it or heck even put it together. lol
dont know what tips to use or colors sorry Im really not trying to be a pain!!!! all i recieved was the cake pan itself and a core thingie (i think)~I gotta get some clips from an office supply to hold it together.

cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:06pm
post #10 of 14

Ok, I hope this helps. Haven't gotten my scanner to work yet, so I hope you don't mind my typing it out in the meantime.

BEFORE YOU BEGIN you will need:
Wilton Decorating Bag and Coupler or parchment paper triangles

Tubes 16, 21 and 67

One cake mix or ingredients fro your favorite scratch recipe

4 1/2 cups buttercream icing (recipe in this booklet) or 3 packages of frosting mix (creamy vanilla type, 15.4 ox. box)

Wilton Paste Food Colors: Leaf Green, Lemon Yellow and Red-Red

Two dozen 2 1/2" long pieces of uncooked spaghetti

BAKING INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generoudly grease inside of both pan halves with solid shortening, using your fingers to cover all indentations. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons flour inside each pan half and shake so flour covers all surfaces. Turn pan halves upside down and tap lightly to remove any excess flour. If any shiny spots show, touch up with more shortening and flour to prevent cake from sticking. Grease and flour outside of center baking core.
Fasten pan halves together with 4 of the clips provided, making sure halves fit snugly together. (Note: the clips are designed to fit tight, so it may be necessary to use pliers to position them.)
Make one cake mix according to package directions or use your facorite scratch recipe. You will need 5 1/2 to 6 cups cake batter. Yellow, white or chocolate batters work best, batters that contain nuts or raisins do not work well.
Pour bater into open end of pan and insert baking core. (I never use the core, but add a bmit more cake batter and bake longer) Secure baking core under two clips. Place on bottom rack of preheated oven on a sheet of aluminum foil to catch any batter that might seep through sides during baking. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes, until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
Remove cake from oven and cool on its side in the pan for 10 minutes on a cake rack. After 10 minutes, remove all clips and top half of pan. Replace top pan half, turn cake over and remove other half of pan. Now carefully twist out center baking core, then stand cake right side up on cake rack. Cool completely before decorating.

(Next post will be the decorating instructions)

cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:21pm
post #11 of 14

Decorating the CANDLELIT CAKE

To make the Candlelit Cake in the colors show, you will need Wilton Paste Food Colors in Leaf Green, Lemon Yellow and Red-Red. Hint: color all the Icing while cake is cooling.

Tint 2 cups green and thin with 1/4 teaspoon of water to make the leaves.

Tint 1/2 cup pink for large stars that center the star ornaments. Stir a toothpick dipped in Red-Red paste color into white icing until you achieve a smooth pale pink.

Tint 1/2 cup yellow for candles. Reserve 2 Tablespoons for candle flames.

Reserve 1 1/2 cups white for the star garlands that drape around the tree.

WITH GREEN ICING

Thickly ice top of plactic cake base, leaving the outer 1/4" bare. Then position cake on base and icing will hold it securely.

Use tube 67 and "To Make Leaves" directions to cover entire cake with leaves. Start at base of cake and work upward, a section at a time, making sure to follow all indentations so cake is completely covered. Chill cake for 10 minutes.

WITH WHITE ICING

Use tube 16 and "To Make Star Garlands" instructions to make rows of garlands around the tree cake. Be sure to make stars close together so leaves do not show through garlands. Make stars right on top of leaves.

WITH PINK ICING

Use tube 21 and "To Make Star Ornaments" instructions to make the large pink stars for star ornament centers first.

Tint remainder of pink a bright red by adding more Red-Red paste color. Use for little stars that go between points of large pink stars in ornaments.

WITH RED ICING

Use tube 16 and "To Make Star Ornaments" instructions to make the tiny red stars that go between pink star points. Reserve 2 tablespoons of red icing for candle flames.

WITH YELLOW ICING

Use spaghetti, tube 16 and "To Make Candles" directions to add candlesticks to tree cake. Reserve 2 tablespoons yellow icing for candle flames.

MIX RED AND YELLOW ICING FOR ORANGE FLAME COLOR

Use tube 16 and "To Make Candles" directions to top each candle with a tiny star "glame".

TO MAKE CANDLES
After you've decorated your cake with iciing leaves, garlands and ornaments, practice making candles to add to cake. Fit a decorating bag with yellow icing with tube 16. Push a 2 1/2" long piece of uncooked spaghetti up through open end of tube with even pressure and pull out spaghetti with icing coat. Gently hold top of iced spaghetti between your thumb and index finger and push it firmly into cake at point of one star garland. Repeat for all other candles, then with orange icing (made by mixing reserved yellow and red) and tube 16, squeeze a star at top of each candle for "glame". Lift hand straight up as you decrease pressure to pull star into a point.

(If you need the directions for "To Make Leaves, "To Make Star Garlands", or "To Make Star Ornaments", let me now and I'll type that out too.)

cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:23pm
post #12 of 14

I just love this cake pan. And it's become a tradition for me to always make it using strawberry cake, just to add that touch of color for the holiday, contrasting to the green outside.

cakeaddictunite Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:47pm
post #13 of 14

omg crownsj you rock!!! ty so much for everyones help!!!! I was pondering if a strawberry cake or red velvet one!! ty so much for your help!!! thumbs_up.gifprincess.gificon_biggrin.gif

cownsj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:52pm
post #14 of 14

You are more than welcome. Anything I can do to help. If I can still figure out the scanner on my printer, I will still scan in the pages and send the entire paperwork to you. If you have other questions I can help with, please holler.

I do like the strawberry. I think I'd be afraid of using the red velvet just because it seems to be too light and soft. I'm not sure it would hold up, though I don't know about the box mix. You could always just add red food coloring into the strawberry, or even vanilla, if you wanted to just get a redder color.

Have fun with it. I feel like a kid everytime I make this cake. Maybe because it always brings me back to when I first made it, I don't know. I just know I absolutely LOVE this pan. I now I have Christmas cake stand I put it on and it looks even better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%