Has Anyone Tried This?

Decorating By uberathlete Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm by bashini

uberathlete Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there. Just wondering if anyone has tried covering cake tiers in buttercream, marzipan, and fondant. I'm planning on doing that, buttercreaming the whole cake including the sides then covering in marzipan then fondant. But I'm a bit concerned of the weight the buttercream, especially on the sides, will have to support. If anyone can share his/her experiences as well as suggestions it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

7 replies
jamiekwebb Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:47pm
post #2 of 8

Why are you using marzipan and fondant? I don't really know but I would think that you would only need to use one of these.

uberathlete Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 8

Marzipan for flavor. Fondant for appearance. Buttercream also for flavor. Actually, I am using the marzipan to also increase the diameter of the tier.

I have a cake book by Mitch Turner and she regularly covers her cakes with marzipan and fondant. She says it's to lock in moisture, add stability and structure, and prevent colors from bleeding through to the fondant.

rainbow_kisses Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 8

when using marzipan and fondant I use apricot jelly/jam as the glue under the marzipan whether it is a fruit cake or sponge based cake never used butter cream as I think the buttercream would not taste right with the marzipan.

XsparkelzX Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #5 of 8

i have never used marzipan and fondant ob the same cake as my folks dont really like marzipan but i have used very thick heavy fondant and a really thin layer of buttercream did the trick just fine icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:29pm
post #6 of 8

Hi, yes, I have used all three. But I didn't put a thick layer of bc, because I just needed to stick the marzipan. So it was a thin layer of bc.

If its a vanilla sponge, your normal buutercream under marzipan.
If its a chocolate cake, chocolate bc under marzipan.
If its Carrot or fruit cake, then its apricot glaze under marzipan.

To stick the fondant to the marzipan, use clear alcohol like vodka.

But I must say that I haven't tasted any yet with marzipan, except a fruit cake!

uberathlete Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Hi, yes, I have used all three. But I didn't put a thick layer of bc, because I just needed to stick the marzipan. So it was a thin layer of bc.

If its a vanilla sponge, your normal buutercream under marzipan.
If its a chocolate cake, chocolate bc under marzipan.
If its Carrot or fruit cake, then its apricot glaze under marzipan.

To stick the fondant to the marzipan, use clear alcohol like vodka.

But I must say that I haven't tasted any yet with marzipan, except a fruit cake!

When you say a thin layer of bc, about how thin? 1/4"? 1/2"?

bashini Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 8

I would say 1/4". icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%