What Is Wrong With My Dishwasher?

Lounge By Kiddiekakes Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm by miss_sweetstory

Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:19pm
post #1 of 7

My dishwasher is only 2 years old and it is a high end Kitchenaid.I spent alot of money on it... icon_eek.gif In the last 4 months it is leaving a film all over my glassware and doesn't seem to get the top rack clean...I will put a large stainlees steel bowl on top with leftover scraped icing and it doesn't get it all clean..kinda like grease droplets left in it.I tried switching from powder to liquid...I have stopped using Jet dry and drying agents...I rinse it out with vinegar but for the life of me can't figure out why it isn't cleaning..It is not broken..I know that! The inside is all stainless steel also and it always looks so grungy..It shouldn't look like that after a cleaning.. icon_surprised.gif

What could it be??? icon_cry.gificon_confused.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

6 replies
SS385Monte Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 7

I know my mom has problems with the jets on her dishwasher getting clogged with little bits of food. She'll have to clean them out every once in a while to keep things running well (the metal cake testers work better for this than testing cakes IMO). My dishwasher is sitting here typing, so no other advice. icon_smile.gif

peg818 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 7

I have to run vinegar and baking soda through my dishwasher every couple of weeks because of hard water buildup. When my dw starts growling i use the dishwasher stuff I think its dishwasher magic cost about $5 and can be found in walmarts or most grocery stores. Its for cleaning the inside of the dishwasher.

I have stainless steel interior and it doesn't look grungy as you describe yours does

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:22pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks Peg..I'm gonna look for that cleaner...

emrldsky Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 7

DH and I have been using Lemi Shine for our dishwasher. It's specifically for buildup due to hard water. It's not something that cleans your dishwasher, but rather your dishes.

Here's more information: https://www.envirocontech.com/products/Learn-More-about-Lemi-Shine.html

Texas_Rose Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 7

What seems to work the best in my dishwasher is the soap that comes in little square cubes with a red dot in the middles. I can't put anything greasy or anything with rice stuck on it in the dishwasher though, no matter what kind of soap I use.

miss_sweetstory Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:55pm
post #7 of 7

Make sure your dishwasher is actually receiving HOT water.
We have a self-heating unit (most UK dishwashers are). I was having a similar problem, so I opened it mid-cycle and found that the water was cold.

Assuming your's has both hot and cold water intakes, make sure the hot isn't blocked or closed. If it's a self heating unit, reset it. Sometimes that is enough to fix the problem

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%