Heating Core

Decorating By korean Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 10:52pm by milkmaid42

korean Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:24pm
post #1 of 5

I am sure that this has been asked before, but I have trouble navigating this forum. Anyhoo- how important is a heating core for the magic line square pans and what size to you suggest. Are people using the funny cone shaped thing to do this. This makes me nervous as I would think this huge hole, even when filled, would be a big contributor to drying your cake out. Please let me know- I am ordering a 10 and 12 inch square pan. I have made 10 inch circle without heating core- and didn't notice much difference. thanks for your input!

4 replies
alene Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

I've never used the heating core but I use flower nails all the time for a cake more than 8". I can tell a big difference and it doesn't leave a hole.

tatorchip Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:32pm
post #3 of 5

I also use the flower nails and love it, I just put the nail upside down (head down) in pan and pour batter slowly at first till the nail head is covered then pour like normal and when cake is done I flip my cake the nail pops up due to being pushed from the bottom hth

grandmom Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:03pm
post #4 of 5

I use a heating core in larger pans. You're supposed to fill the core with batter also, to the same depth as the cake batter in the pan.

First I use pan grease on the core inside and out, then set it in the middle of the batter-filled cake pan with the open side up. I then spoon enough of the cake batter from the pan into the core to get equal depths.

Once the cake is baked and cooled, plug the cake from the core into the hole in the larger cake. You may have to level the plug off a little.

milkmaid42 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 5

I used to use a heater core, but now it sits, unused, in the drawer. I much prefer flower nails simply for the ease and convenience. I don't really see any difference in the result. (The one good thing about the heater core was I generally overfilled it and so was able to enjoy the little slice shaved off to fit!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%