How Much Fondant For A 12In Cake?

Decorating By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm by alene

SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:07pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone!

I know mostly everyone is probably asleep right now. lol.

I'm making a two tier Christmas cake for a pot luck at a Christmas party at my husband's work (Found out about it Friday, Christmas shopping was yesterday, so had to start today. ugh.). Since this is a big non paid cake, I wanna use my supplies as wisely as possible.

I'm using Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. My bottom tier is 12in, top is 8in. I know I can cover the 8in with one batch of MMF. But I was wondering if I have to use two for the 12in.? The fondant for the 12in. is going to be blue, and the 8in. is going to be a "non-blue" Christmas present. I don't want to color too much, then not need it, but I don't want to cover not enough, then have heck getting the exact color a second time.

This is going to be the biggest cake I've made since I started getting really serious about this, so this might be a little ambitious for me, but I really want something nice to take to the party. Does anyone have an estimate of how much fondant it should take to cover the 12in? (Oh, it's also about 3 1/4 in. high)

Thanks so much in advance for any help!!

5 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:20pm
post #2 of 6

Good morning. Not everyone is asleep. The way I was taught was to take the height of the cake X 2 + the diameter. If the height of your cake is 4", that would be 4X2+12=20. Hope this helps.

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 6
SugarNSpiceDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #4 of 6

kjskid,

Yes, I think that does help. Thank you very much! I don't have a scale, and I'm not exact on telling weight by feeling it. But I'm thinking either 1 1/2 to 2 batches. Maybe if I roll it out first, I'll get a good idea too.

alene,

Good morning icon_smile.gif and thank you for that calculation! I'm writing that down for future reference. One question if you don't mind. The 20 means that the fondant should measure 20in across?

Please forgive if I'm ditzy. Due to this cake, plus a hefty load of classwork, I haven't been able to make it to bed yet. icon_redface.gif

kjskid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjskid Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 6
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, SugarNSpiceDiva that would be 20" across. I have it written down also, the only way I can remember it. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%