Please Help Me With This Mold!

Decorating By marzipandoll Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm by MYOM-Dominic

marzipandoll Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:55am
post #1 of 4

I am so happy to see MYOM here I was just looking at the website, but I need some help! I bought the first impression molds so far and OMG do I love them!?!? But they don't have everything I need. For example I just had to make Super Mario characters and I had to find a way to make my own molds. I was too scared to try MYOM so I did the "amazing putty" hm, well it wasn't bad-bad I did make very cute characters (I even posted my cake here) but it was not easy to work with, after the first impression molds. That's the kind of quality I am looking to make! Am I crazy? Ok then close to that.
I have to make this dragon cake. A little princess is riding it and the princess is going to be sugar paste. I wanted to make it very detailed and prefect that's why I want a mold. I bought a mini Barbie doll I would like to use. Please tell me what kind of molding materials and method should I try to get best results. I can see myself making molds all over the place when I find the best way! Heheeh! Thanks in advance!

3 replies
MYOM-Dominic Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:46pm
post #2 of 4

Hi Marzi,

I am really glad to have an opportunity to help you with this project. You are the first to present me with a specific project and I want you to know that you have my undivided attention. This is exactly the kind of exchange that Jackie envisioned--where I can be available to the CC community and help with mold making instruction and truthfully teaching is one of my favorite parts my job. Okay, lets get started.

First of all I agree with you, First Impressions makes some great molds but it is impossible to provide the millions of designs needed in our industry. Learning how to make your own mold will enable you to forge ahead and create whatever you or your customer desires.

It seems to me that you like a block mold which is usually made with a liquid silicone so I intend to show you how to use CopyFlex Liquid for this project. Before we get into specifics please answer these questions.

1. What are the dimensions of the mini barbie?

2. Do you want to copy just one side of the princess or both sides? If the princess will be lying flat on the cake, it is only necessary to copy one side and will be alot easier for you since this is your first stab at making your own mold.

3. What are you going to use on the mini barbie to make the princess design?

4. How much time do we have?

5. Can you take pictures during this project so I can check your progress?

Marzi, I will be checking this topic every half hour and looking forward to giving you your first lesson in the wonderful craft of mold making.

Dominic icon_smile.gif

MYOM-Dominic Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 4

Dominic you are awesome!!! Thanks so much in advance, I am so excited!

Let me answer your questions real quick!
1. The Barbie doll is 4" long, her shoulders 1 and 1/5" and the depth of head (biggest part) is 1".
2. Both sides, she is sitting up on the dragon. (I like a challenge hahaha)
3. Dress and tiara.
4. The cake is due on the 17th and I want the princess ready a couple of days in advance. 14-15th?
5. I can totally take pics for you.

Yes I would like a block mold like the FI molds. But it will be a 3D doll, and she will have to ride the 3D dragon. Her legs can be closed together and I can make her ride the old fashion lady style, both legs on one side. As far as making her a princess, I just want to make the "naked" doll and then I can add the dress (that way it can just fall wherever it has to on the dragon) and tiara. What do you think?

MYOM-Dominic Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 4

Dominic you are awesome!!! Thanks so much in advance, I am so excited!

Let me answer your questions real quick!
1. The Barbie doll is 4" long, her shoulders 1 and 1/5" and the depth of head (biggest part) is 1".
2. Both sides, she is sitting up on the dragon. (I like a challenge hahaha)
3. Dress and tiara.
4. The cake is due on the 17th and I want the princess ready a couple of days in advance. 14-15th?
5. I can totally take pics for you.

Yes I would like a block mold like the FI molds. But it will be a 3D doll, and she will have to ride the 3D dragon. Her legs can be closed together and I can make her ride the old fashion lady style, both legs on one side. As far as making her a princess, I just want to make the "naked" doll and then I can add the dress (that way it can just fall wherever it has to on the dragon) and tiara. What do you think?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%