Crusting Cream Cheese Icing Didn't Crust?

Decorating By maitej17 Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 3:54am by alene

maitej17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maitej17 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:40am
post #1 of 2

Hi,

I'm pretty new here, and I'm hoping that this is the right section to post this question.

I baked a red velvet cake today and used the crusting cream cheese icing recipe hoping to smooth it out once it crusted. This was my first time trying this specific cream cheese recipe (I've used others before, but was really hoping to improve the look of my cake) and I followed it to the T and it never crusted over.

I mean I left it out for some time and nothing, I then resorted to putting it in the fridge and still nothing, I mean after an hr or 2 in the fridge it got a little stiffer but never stiff enough to smooth over with the paper towel and fondant smoother.

Did I do something wrong , I use Crisco shortening, should I have used the fattier one instead?

Any advice would be helpful since I'd like to use this frosting for my daughter's circus tent cake and would really like to have a super smooth look w/out the fondant. icon_confused.gif

Help please!

1 reply
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:54am
post #2 of 2

I just posted a pic using that icing. I never have much luck with cream cheese icing. I hate working with it. Mine did crust but it's a pain to work with. Doesn't crust like bc. I took the icing off completely at one point and reapplied. I think I ended up putting more ps in mine. Sorry, not much help but I feel your pain. maybe someone else will have some advice for you. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%