Hi, Newb Here.

Decorating By darrell_lau Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 3:36am by chefjess819

darrell_lau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darrell_lau Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #1 of 11

i've been thinking about making a cake for my girlfriend, but I'm fairly new at this (I'm only 18 ).

I want to make a cake in the shape of the black character in this picture:

Can anyone give me some tips in making black fondant(or where I could find some), and how I would be able to paint on it? Thanks!

10 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 11

The only tip I can give is to start with chocolate fondant so you won't need to add much black color, use Americolor black for best coverage, or order black Satin Ice fondant! Good luck with it! My daughter loves this character, too! Oh, and welcome to CC!!!! Hope to see your amazing work!

darrell_lau Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 11

Lol thanks for the welcome!. I'm really nervous about doing this cuz I'm a total perfectionist. Would grocery stores sell black fondant? I'm not sure if there are any specialty stores around where I live

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:50am
post #4 of 11

Oh, sorry, I order it online! Just google it, or I think that global sugar art sells it online, too! HTH!!!

darrell_lau Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:08am
post #5 of 11

what about paint? I need to use a bit of gray to distinguish Adios's legs and whatnot

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:16am
post #6 of 11

you can buy black fondant or make your own. I make black all the time. search recipes here on CC. HTH

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #7 of 11

grocery stores probably aren't going to carry black fondant. if you cant find it and dont have time to order any online, you can use white fondant and paint it black with food coloring, the gel wilton ones work best. also, you can dillute the black into a grey color using vodka. the alcohol will evaporate and leave the color as it dries.

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:23am
post #8 of 11

Hi Welcome to CC

Wilton makes something called Color Mist..its and edible spray paint and it comes in black you can find it at Michaels in the cake decorating section

or you can do a buttercream transfer
http://cakecentral.com/articles/73/how-to-create-a-frozen-buttercream-transfer

Good luck hope to see the pic soon

chefjess819 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 5:55pm
post #9 of 11

yeah! i forgot about the colormist spray. we have it in the wedding supply aisle at our wal mart.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:32am
post #10 of 11

I'm about to do the same thing...use black fondant for the first time. Does the Color Mist have a taste? Do you spray it on after you have covered your cake with fondant? Does it reallly go on black? I'm making an over the hill casket cake.

chefjess819 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:36am
post #11 of 11

as far as i know, the colormist will go on black like a spray paint. i would cover the cake in fondant, and then spray the colormist on in layers. spray a light mist over the entire cake, let that dry, then do it again until you reach your deisred color. HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%