Golf Cake

Decorating By lakota Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 12:41pm by JGMB

lakota Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:07am
post #1 of 3

My husband and son play golf together and their birthdays are coming up soon. I would like to make them a golf cake but I haven't decorated a cake in over 20 years so I need something easy. I have never worked with gum paste or fondant but am dieing to try. Does anyone have any ideas for something easy that I could tackle? icon_sad.gif

2 replies
JanH Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 8:18am
post #2 of 3

Hi and Welcome to CC, lakota. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

How to cover a character cake in fondant using the same shaped character cake pan:

Wilton golf bag cake pan:

Golf cakes from the CC galleries:

JGMB Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 3

I never use fondant either, so I did mine in buttercream. I was actually pretty proud of it!! (look in my photos) I just put a swath of green icing down the middle and smoothed it, blue piping gel on one side of that for water, and crushed up cookie crumbs on the other side for the sand trap.

Then, at the end of the green, I used the end of a straw to take out a little circle of icing which I then piped in with black to make a hole, poked in a flag made out of a cooking skewer, and that was it. Oh, and I also took a little bit of the white buttercream, added more 10x sugar until it was like playdoh, and rolled that into a golf ball.

Believe me, if I can do it, you certainly can! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%