Okay Stupid Question About Coloring Gumpaste.

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 18 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm by Renaejrk

SandiOh Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 14

I use the wilton gumpaste, I need to make a red number topper (5)....I have red fondant (also have red candy clay), but was thinking gumpaste would work better...
so question, how do I get my gumpaste that red without using alot of gel (won't all the gel color I need to use, wreck the consistency of the gumpaste?)
please help, as I need the number topper for my son's bday cake on Sunday!!!!
TIA,
Sandi

13 replies
Normita Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:03am
post #2 of 14

1) You can either use some red fondant with tylose powder added to it to make it stronger (you wont need to add extra color...I do this all the time) , 2) do a combo of gumpaste and red fondant and maybe just a little bit more of red coloring to it if you need it, or 3) get gumpaste and add americolor super red. With americolor it gets really nice deep colors and you wont need a lot of color to achieve it...WAY better than wilton colors. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

Peridot Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:36am
post #3 of 14

I agree with Normita.

If you have Satin Ice red fondant you can add some of the white Wiltgon gumpaste as their red and blacks are so strong that you can add white. I would also add Tylose to it to that you get the strength you need.

I have red, black and Christmas green SI and I always add some white fondant to it when covering my cakes with it and if I use it for figures or decorations I add the tylose and some gumpaste.

You probably will not need to add color.

SandiOh Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:38am
post #4 of 14

I don't have tylose, my cake store is closed Mond. Will making it Tuesday be enough time for it to dry? (cake on Sun), how much tylose do you add to fondant?

Normita Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 14

I think that is plenty of time. I have made number toppers on Thurs for Sat party. But if you can make it sooner, Tuesday or Wednesday sound fine. Also, always make more than 1...just in case it breaks or something.

SandiOh Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 12:54am
post #6 of 14

thanks guys, I have fondarific red, do you think , hopefully that will work....how much tylose should I add?

SandiOh Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:01am
post #7 of 14

another question, once you add the tylose, does it change the taste of the fondant? or I quess I should ask, can you still eat it?

xstitcher Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:13am
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

another question, once you add the tylose, does it change the taste of the fondant? or I quess I should ask, can you still eat it?

Technically it is edible but because it is so hard it might not be so great for your teeth. icon_lol.gif

Normita Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #9 of 14

I really dont measure how much I put in...just a sprinkle...I guess about a teaspoon or so. I dont think it would change the taste...but usually for toppers I dont worry because we dont eat them anyway. But if you chose to, they should be ok

MrsNancyB1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 14

I don't think that the Tylose changes the taste at all, but like a PP said it dries rock hard, so it's tecnically difficult to eat.

I agree that you may want to make the switch eventually to a different brand of gel color. I switched from Wilton to Chefmaster and LOVE that I don't need a ton of color to get the shade desired.

SandiOh Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:10am
post #11 of 14

thanks everyone - this was a big help to me...

cakesrock Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 4:15am
post #12 of 14

You could also mix the red fondant with gumpaste, let it dry a day or two or even just overnight and then paint it to enhance the color. You could also use a red edible marker... icon_smile.gif

SandiOh Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:25pm
post #13 of 14

Would the tylose in fondant work when making a shoe?

Renaejrk Posted 18 Jan 2010 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandiOh

Would the tylose in fondant work when making a shoe?

Totally! The shoe I made a couple of months ago in my pics is made with fondant with tylose added! It worked just fine - just make sure to add enough tylose and give it time to dry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%