Funny Bible Idea

Decorating By julitre1 Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm by __Jamie__

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 37

My pastor has asked me to do his wife's 33rd birthday cake. He wants it to be funny and biblically themed. Any ideas? He suggested maybe the 10 commandments with his wife's face coming out of them but I'm just not sure how to do that. So, anyway, please give me any ideas you can, the cake is due the 26th. Thank you!

36 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 37

I don't know--I'm fairly creative, I know the Bible and I'm just totally not getting anywhere with this idea of comedy + bible = Happy Birthday.

I mean to me, it's too close to disrespectful. There's a fine line between irreverent which is really funny and disrespectful. Her face coming out of the 10 Commandments is funny because...

I don't know I'm not feeling this one. To me if you introduce the Bible into something for a pastor's wife you have already set the mood and it's not a comedic one.

Maybe someone else will get something for you.

julitre1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:31am
post #3 of 37

I know, that's what I thought too, he first wanted something along the lines of Holy City, but last night he said "funny" so I'm not sure........but he is paying me so......

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:12am
post #4 of 37

Maybe something with her as Eve, fig leaves, apple, snake?

julitre1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:16am
post #5 of 37

ooh, I didn't think about that, yeah, she would really like that.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:27am
post #6 of 37

Yeah, I would probably not portray her as the one person that brought sin into the world!

julitre1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:30am
post #7 of 37

LOL, no she has a GREAT personality and would probably think it hilarious. You just have to know her, she's a great woman. I still don't know if I'm gonna go that direction, so please keep the ideas coming. :0)

talk2us Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
talk2us Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #8 of 37

For inspiration, go to dayspring.com
Look at their E-cards. Some are really cute.

I know God has a sense of humor. Some of the things I do, it must keep him ROFL hysterically.

ahuvas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ahuvas Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:06am
post #9 of 37

You could also do a figure of her holding the ten commandments with the text: Commandment No 1: I am the Lord, your g-d. If that isnt too sacrilegious icon_smile.gif

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:47am
post #10 of 37

what about a cake with her acting out or saying each of HER comandments.... im not religous so i dont really know them all but instead of thou shall not kill thy nieghbor make it thou shall not kill your hubby for not taking out the garbage or something like that please make sure to post what you come up with im really interested this sounds like it has the makings of a great cake

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 7:59am
post #11 of 37

How about "stone tablets" with the 10 Commandments for Pastor's Wives
1. Thou shalt never have a bad attitude
2. Thou must never become sick
3. Thou must maintain total control over all children (both yours and others) at all times
4. Thou must be ready to meet all demands from thy husbands flock at all times
5. Thou must be a proper diplomat with all knowledge of everything going on in thy husband's church
6. Thou must be a gourmet chef ready to turn out any type of food for any function without any prior notice
7. Thou must be a talented musician able to fill in on any instrument in the church with no prior notice
8. Thou must be able to feed 15 people on a budget of $2 per meal
9. Thou must be able to substitute teach all age groups for Sunday School with no advance planning
10. Thou shalt never complain no matter the circumstances

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:29pm
post #12 of 37

And I think that would be good for something other than a birthday. I mean I think it's probably way too true but ain't nothing Happy Birthday about it to me.

In other words to me it's an aspect that you'd want to forget about on your birthday especially since it's true.

Me--I would go back to the Pastor & advise him that the two themes soundly clash.

Ok--it's like any employee getting a cake that makes light of their employer plus mixes in religion--ain't working for me.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 37

yeah, I have to agree with K8...there is such a fine line between funny and blasphemy or disrespect.

If she has a good sense of humor what about just something picking at the fact that she's old (if she is lol)

LIke...

In the beginning God created................... (wife's name)

Like she's as old as the earth??

Even that could seem pretty blasphemous to some to change the scripture to suit a party cake!

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:02pm
post #14 of 37

I'd ask him if maybe you could shoot more for joyous than funny. Uplifting.

And why does funny takes of the Cake Bible keep popping into my head? I keep seeing a book cake of the Cake Bible with "From the beginning, Rose sifted her ingredients"......

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:19pm
post #15 of 37

I mean I once did a little cookbook to promote the missionaries that our church supported and I included a recipe from each one and on the cover I had a missionary holding the bible standing inside a big deep pot with flames all around it and a native with a big long stick striring the pot and the title was, "What's Cooking?"

I asked a guy to draw the cover for me and he kept procrastinating and promising he'd do it and over and over--so I finally said, are you gonna do this and he thought that it would offend people. I thought it was pure genius--I drew it myself. If I offended anyone I never heard about it.

But I mean even that was over some folks' line. So I don't know.

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:29pm
post #16 of 37

You can always ask your pastor about any ideas either you or other cc'ers come up with to make sure they are not disrespectful. Be upfront and honest that you want to give them what they want and not step on anyone's toes. That should solve any of the issues the other cc'ers came up with.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:35pm
post #17 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GCakes

I'd ask him if maybe you could shoot more for joyous than funny. Uplifting.

And why does funny takes of the Cake Bible keep popping into my head? I keep seeing a book cake of the Cake Bible with "From the beginning, Rose sifted her ingredients"......

When I think of Rose's book I think of the scripture,
"And the earth Rose's book was without form and void."

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Obviously I'm not a fan.

Oh gosh--now THAT was funny!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

julitre1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:34pm
post #18 of 37

A friend of mine suggested maybe portraying her as Zacchaeus since she is "vertically" challenged. What do ya'll think?

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:41pm
post #19 of 37

What's the punch line though?

Here's a joke about the bible that I like.

What is the first motorcycle mentioned in the bible???

answer next post...

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:43pm
post #20 of 37

Answer: When the Triumph of David was heard through out the land."

icon_biggrin.gif

Hey I got some joke books & stuff I'll check out when I get to the store--I operate a church bookstore--I'll see what I can come up with--but ...

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:46pm
post #21 of 37

Re: the Zachaeus idea:

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

What's the punch line though?

Ok -- here's one--

So she has to climb the tree to see the top of her cake and it's inflamed with candles. Burns her nose or something--Burns the treelimb off --she falls into a firey ring of 33 birthday candles.

I mean that's a cartoon strip though that ain't a birthday cake but it is an idea. <faint from exhaustion>

Geez I need another cup of coffee--

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:26pm
post #22 of 37

Ok I got it--it's like a 10 inch round--nice & tall and there's a sycamore tree growing up the side--she's standing on top of the tree with her hands just reaching the top ledge of the cake where's she's peeking up--and the top of the cake is an exagerated b-day cake looking cake with giant candles and a couple oversized roses like Honey I shrunk the kids.

...And the caption is....???

julitre1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:20pm
post #23 of 37

There doesn't have to be a punch line. It's "making fun" of her shortness by comparing her to Zacchaeus.

Anyway, I emailed my pastor with some ideas and now I'm waiting on him.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:58pm
post #24 of 37

You're short like Zaccheaus--Happy Birthday.

Little flat, no?

julitre1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 1:09am
post #25 of 37

I guess you just have to know them, but really-THANK YOU-for all the suggestions!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:24am
post #26 of 37

Since she's turning 33, and that was the approx age when Jesus died, I can't get the two out of my head.

Clashes like cymbals, but still...

iloveyanni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iloveyanni Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:39am
post #27 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

Yeah, I would probably not portray her as the one person that brought sin into the world!

That is hilarious!!!!! I love it!!!!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:53am
post #28 of 37

What about her as with Moses' ropes (sandals on the side) and a "burning bush" that is really a birthday cake with a million candles on it.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #29 of 37

open Bible to this verse --> Ephesians 5: 22 --- "Wives submit unto your husbands as to the Lord....."

caption on board cake is on: "Sorry dear, there's no AGE loop hole on that one!"

---------

woman's face -- tear streaked

Caption: In Psalm 100:1 it says "make a joyful noise unto the Lord" NOT weeping and wailing just because you've turned OLD (or 33)

---------

At 33 HE died and rose...

At 33 Your youth died -- and stayed dead! (or... and gray hair rose upon your head)

OOPS!

-------

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 3:59pm
post #30 of 37

Doug - I love the one from Psalms!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%