How To Make Quilted Sides On A Cake???

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm by weirkd

babycakes73 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 3

Hi I am going to be making a three layered 6" round cake and I would like to have the sides on it with that quilted look, only I am unsure how to accomplish this with all the diamonds being equal in shape and size.
I do not have any speacial quilting tools either so if anyone could tell me how to do it with your basic fondant tools, I do have a embossing wheel thingy.
ANY detailed instructions would be great. Thanks so much.

2 replies
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 3

I find it difficult to do 'by hand'.......I know there are many who do it but it never works out for me icon_sad.gif

You can find some plastic light-fixture covering at stores like Home Depot. They might have a broken one that they would just give you - at least a piece of one.

If you want to try it yourself you need to measure out & mark on both top & bottom a mark say about ever 1 1/2" (I think 1" is too close but 2" too wide).
Now using a ruler, hold it at a slant from one mark on the bottom to the next mark on the top. Push puller against icing just enough to indent it. Once you have gone all the way around, go back the other way. HTH

weirkd Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 3

They actually make a sheet out of plastic (impression mat) that you can use on the side of the cake to make your marks. THen you go over it with your wheel tool to make the quilting marks. There are also a Patchwork Cutter that they make that is black diamond shape to make the grid pattern. It has a small handle and makes about 8 diamonds at a time. Sometimes I find this tool a little easier than the plastic mat they have. Global Sugar Art has both tools.
Also, on Sugar Ed Productions dvd on Fabulous Fondant (Sharon Zambito aka Sugarshack) , she gives you a step by step on how to do this design!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%