Help!! Frozen Cake Question

Decorating By Kia333 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm by Tiffany29

Kia333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kia333 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 5

I baked, filled and iced 2 cakes yesterday and put them in the freezer last night in preparation for applying the fondant today. I forgot them in the freezer and when I woke up this morning, the buttercream and the cakes were completely frozen - they were NOT covered. Do I leave them out on the counter to thaw? Will the buttercream be ok?? Should I start panicking?

4 replies
alene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alene Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 5

I don't freeze my cakes but everything I've read here on CC tell you to let your cake thaw at room temp before applying your fondant and it should be ok. good luck

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 5

No don't panick! It should be fine. I would set it out a little before covering with fondant.
I just made a 3 tier cake and put it in the fridge overnight after frosting and covered it, it was fine. IMO it's easier to cover a cold cake.

I am sure someone else will come along with another suggestion.
I think it will be fine! Good luck!

Kia333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kia333 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:49pm
post #4 of 5

thanks for your replies! So i should stick it back in the fridge before applying the fondant? Moreover, how do i "stick" the cakes together and on the cake board, with royal icing?

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 5

I would just take them out of the freezer and cover as you normally would covering it cold is ok.
What do you mean by stick them together? Are you stacking them? I am not sure what you mean. Need more info.
I usually glue my cakes to the cake board with buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%