Looking For Comments On My Site Too

Business By steph_78 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm by Spuddysmom

steph_78 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:37pm
post #1 of 16

I used webs and am looking for advice on how I can clean it up and make it look a little better.

http://sweetindulgencebakery.webs.com/

15 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:01pm
post #2 of 16

I will start this by saying that I am not saying these things to be mean, but simply as constructive criticism. thumbs_up.gif

1. The text does not line up properly on all pages and makes it very difficult to read.
2. The text should not all be in italics. Italics are to stress a point, not for large blocks of text
3. The bottom of the home page still has the helper text at the bottom, this should be removed.
4. Your contact info should be at the bottom of every page. This should include your name, address, phone and emal (with link)
5. You use different colors for your text on different pages. The text should be the same color and font throughout the entire site.
6. You have a separate page for weddings, but its just the photo gallery again. Either have new information on this page, or remove it entirely.
7. If you are getting most of your money from weddings, it should be the second or third item on your navigation bar.
8. Your About Us page has WAYYYY too much info. The about us is supposed to be a short biography. The info on cake flavors, pricing and wedding info should be on a separate page. In fact, the wedding info should be on the Weddings page.
9. On your servings sizes, you have an additional ** explaining that there is an additional charge for fondant, but you have the same information in the paragraph above. If you don't have the astericks in the information, it seems to come out of left field.
10. If you can remove the advertising, I suggest doing it as that block of text is very distracting. Also, since your background is so dark, when the ad is white, it just stands out and your eyes are drawn to it.
11. Remove the copyrighted characters from your gallery. Blues clues, Disney princess, and Dora are all going to get you in big trouble.
12. Is the picture at the top of your pages your picture, or a stock photo? I'd suggest using a shot of your stuff as opposed to stock photo. People notice when the two don't match up. Maybe have a professional photog take some good artsy-fartsy shots of one of your cakes.
13. Remove the signing on your home pages of "Stephanie and Angela". If you want to do this, you should have it on your about us page.

Your site is a good start, just needs some tweaking. Also, your wedding cakes are beautiful. (sorry, I had a hard time not focusing on the copyright cakes in the occasion galley, kind of my pet peeve. icon_redface.gif )

I hope this helps you and doesn't offend or upset you. I spent almost a year tweaking my site and getting it to look the way I wanted. I've got about 10-12 hours worth of updates to make in the next two weeks. I suppose I don't NEED sleep.

steph_78 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillmakescakes

I will start this by saying that I am not saying these things to be mean, but simply as constructive criticism. thumbs_up.gif

Thank you so much and you gave me exactly what I was looking for......ways to improve my site. I have not paid to have the ads removed because my internet provider gives me free web hosting so I will host the site through them if I can but if not, I will pay webs for it. Thanks again and I will post back when I fix up the areas you mentioned. Do you think a lighter background would be better?

jillmakescakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 16

A lighter grey background would probably help. I wouldn't suggest going stark white though as it tends to make the site look unfinished.

I'm glad you were able to take the tips in the spirit in which they were given. So many tiimes people ask for critique then get upset when the get it. thumbs_up.gif

metria Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 16

might is suggest changing the font and color of the top of all pages where it says "Sweet Indulgence Bakery". It's such a cute name, I feel like it should be in cursive. The bright red doesn't quite match anything else on your site.

Spuddysmom Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:59pm
post #6 of 16

Wow, Jillmakescakes you give a wonderful critique thumbs_up.gif ! I notice under the "cake ordering info" this line: "Having a dessert table at your wedding reception but still want a beautiful?"

steph_78 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 16

OK, the site is ready to be evaluated again. I gave it a winter theme for the holiday season I guess lol. The font color has been changed. I cannot figure out how to change the font style though. When I click a different font, my font stays the same for some reason. Spuddysmom, I also noticed that as well and I did also correct all the other grammer problems too.

kel58 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:54pm
post #8 of 16

I agree is Metria. If you could find out how to change the font to a script is would look really nice. I also thought you could change the wording slightly on this paragraph
"***There is a refundable deposit required to rent each tier which will be reimbursed upon their return. The fee is $20.00 per tier. The rented tiers must be returned within 5 days of event or your deposit is not refunded.***"

Maybe change it a little to
There is refundable deposit of $20/per teir which will be reimbursed upon their return. All rentals must be returned within 5 days of the event or your deposit will not be refunded.

I know its the smalles little change but the little sentece of "the fee is $20.00 per teir" just seemed a little off. Maybe its just me.

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #9 of 16

I like the site but here are a few things I noticed....LOL

The winter theme reminds me of a Christmas blog/site and not a professional cake site...I would go back to making it more business like...

I would try and make the Main name font on the home page more fancy/whimsical and not so blocky...stick with the same font all the way through.

Once you do more cakes I would categorize them more specifically like Baby Shower cakes,Sport cakes,Childrens birthday cakes etc that way customer who may not want to look through hundreds of pictures can go to the specific type of category they are looking for.

It is a great start!!

steph_78 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #10 of 16

Christmas theme gone lol......How it looks now is the design I origninally had. Am still trying to figure out the font though. I do have alot of cakes but have yet to add them.

sherrycanary62 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 16

Wow you got some fabulous advice...

the only thing that I noticed

On your cake info page..

There is refundable deposit of $20/per teir which ...tier is mispelled...

Your cakes are beautiful!!

steph_78 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:27pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrycanary62

Wow you got some fabulous advice...

the only thing that I noticed

On your cake info page..

There is refundable deposit of $20/per teir which ...tier is mispelled...

Your cakes are beautiful!!

Thank you Sherry for your comment on my cakes and I fixed tier lol.

Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:37pm
post #13 of 16

I like the dusty rose and blue..Very strking!!

indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 16

On your "wedding cake ordering page", you have a section titled "Cake Ordering Info" ..... should this be on your "Cake ORdering Info" page? Regardless, in this section, I'd expand WHY some designs cannot be done with real flowers, such as: "Some cake designs cannot be done with fresh flowers. Calla lilies, poinsettas and hydrangeas, for example, have a high toxicity level and it is not food-safe to place these on a cake."

On your cake ordering info page, are the cake sizes shown single or double layer cakes? You should point that out. If I ordered a 10" cake, I'd be expecting a 2-layer. If I got there and rec'd a single layer, I'd be ticked off. So really point out the size of these cakes so there are no surprises.

When I look at your Wedding Cakes Info page and your Cake Ordering Info page, these two pages seem to mesh together with no real clarity on what is on the pages.

I think your "Cake Ordering Info" page should be called "Flavors and Pricing" page. Move sugar flower pricing and artifical tiers pricing to this page.

Your "Wedding Cake Info" page should be info a bride needs to know and/or have in advance of ordering her wedding cake. This might include serving charts (or links to charts); an education on why sugar flowers may be best instead of fresh (toxicity); how soon in advance they need to come in for a consultation; what info they need to bring with them to the appt (headcount, location, color swatches, etc). Keep your Artifical Tiers paragraph on this page, but refer them to the pricing page for price info. This way you have one page for all pricing inquiries.

No cake pricing anywhere in any form? icon_confused.gif

Your "About Us" page is now a duplicate of your Home Page.

kel58 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #15 of 16

I like the new colour scheme way better than the Chrismtas theme. Looks more professional.

Spuddysmom Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #16 of 16

Just revisted the site - Big improvements!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%