First Time Fondant

Decorating By Thanksharla Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 2:02am by Thanksharla

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 9

I am trying my hands at fondant today for the first time. I am going to make it at home. Not sure yet which recipe I'm going to use yet, but it will be MMF. Do you ladies have any tips for me?

8 replies
sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:37pm
post #2 of 9

MMF is very easy

1. If you are going to color it...do it when the marshmallow is melted and before you add powdered sugar

2. I add tblsp light cornsyup to my recipe for elasticity.

3. If using vanilla use clear vanilla...

4. Grease bowl and utensils you are using

5. Add 2-3 cups powdered sugar to melted marshmallow in bowl (1 cup at a time) before turning out and kneading in the rest of the sugar.

6. Some people grease their works surface, I havn't done that, I only use powdered sugar on surface.

7. You may see little sugar balls in the dough...just keep kneading, you may not get them all but after resting most of them disappear

8. coat your saran wrap with a little crisco and put a thin coat on dough then double wrap the finished fondant and seal in zip lock bag and let rest over night.

thats all I can think of right now..hth

aej6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aej6 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 9

Nice, simple break down...thanks!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 9

this is the web page I follow for making MMF. she posted videos of the process:

http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/marshmallow-fondant.html

Thanksharla Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 9

Thank you so much! I'll let you know how it turns out.

kel58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 9

I thought i could come on here and give a little advice and instead i learning something. This is why i love CC. Good luck with your first fondant cake.

Thanksharla Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:11pm
post #7 of 9

Well, I did it. The resipe was marshmallows, water and powdered sugar. It mixed up easily. After I let it sit for a few hours I rolled it out. However, it cracked and then the cornstarch was stuck in the cracks. Uggg..... what did I do wrong? What do I add to the recipe to make sure it doesn't crack?

sherrycanary62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherrycanary62 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:58pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanksharla

Well, I did it. The resipe was marshmallows, water and powdered sugar. It mixed up easily. After I let it sit for a few hours I rolled it out. However, it cracked and then the cornstarch was stuck in the cracks. Uggg..... what did I do wrong? What do I add to the recipe to make sure it doesn't crack?

Add 1 to 2 tblspoons of light corn syrup to the melted marshmallow. I never use cornstarch to roll out, just powdered sugar...Someone on here told me that there is some scientific process when combining corn starch and powdered sugar but don't remember exactly what it was. Corn syrup will give the fondant more elascticity.

Thanksharla Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:02am
post #9 of 9

thanks sherry. I'll remember that for next time

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%