First Present Cake

Decorating By PandaBear1 Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm by cylstrial

PandaBear1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PandaBear1 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:28am
post #1 of 11

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong area.

I just finished making my first present cake.

Two eight inch white cakes with a dulche de leche filling and rolled buttercream. I guess it's okay for my first one and it is just for practice, but I know it can be improved in future attempts.

Any suggestions please?

Here's the picture...

10 replies
MrsNancyB1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNancyB1 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 11

I think it's pretty good for a first try. Some things I would suggest though are:

1) After filling your cake, give it a few hours to 'settle' a bit so that you can avoid the middle bulge.

2) Invest in a pair of fondant smoothers. You will need two, so that you don't get any finger prints or bulges while you steady the cake with one hand and smooth with the other.

3) A thin smear of crisco can help to remove a lot of the corn starch stains. Either that, or a clothes steamer if you have one.

4) Try to make sure your cakes are even, and have straight edges before covering in fondant. Any imperfections in the cake will be seen even after you cover it in fondant.

Good job on your first try though. Keep at it!

PandaBear1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:30am
post #3 of 11

Thanks Nancy! I'll look into those smoothers and definitely keep your other suggestions in mind.

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of the shiny look though? I don't like that.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 11

did you make your own fondant? if you add too much crisco, it can cause shiny fondant

PandaBear1 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 11

Hm... yeah. I made my own. But I followed the recipe. Maybe I need more powdered sugar?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 4:28pm
post #6 of 11

You said you used the rolled buttercream, I think that it retains the shiny look. I haven't used it myself but I want to remember reading that in past posts.

PandaBear1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:01am
post #7 of 11

Hm... well, great. icon_sad.gif I don't like it to be shiny like that. Maybe I need to try an actual fondant. However, I've heard that fondant doesn't taste all that great... *sigh*

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 12:14am
post #8 of 11

Try MFF, the fondant tastes great, easy and cheap to make and is not shiny

PandaBear1 Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 6:37am
post #9 of 11

Hmm... Okay, I will. Thanks!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:37am
post #10 of 11

And if you have a good source for clear vanilla, you can use that in the Michelle Foster Fondant instead of milk or cream. Or if you want to buy it, you can use Satin Ice. but NOT Wilton.

Great cake for your first time! Try looking at other people's bows. I find that it's the bow that gets the WOW!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 2:17pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaBear1

However, I've heard that fondant doesn't taste all that great... *sigh*

There are so many great companies that make fondant! They taste wonderful! Satin Ice, Fondx, Fondarific. And there are lots that you can make yourself such as MMF and MFF. Jennifer Dontz also has a recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%