Light Lighter Lightest Christmas

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 11:07pm by Ruth0209

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:04am
post #1 of 16

Are you guys noticing the lack of merchandise in the stores??? I mean we've got malls with empty parking lots. I saw Christmas clearance before Halloween.

Y'know how they show the old musicals & movies on tv from the 40's & dozens of dancers would just break out in song & dance somewhere random? Hey, check out the dance floor opportunities at The Gap at the mall--plenty of room in there for tons of happy dancers and singers--not much merchandise--There's usually hardly room to walk through the store it's so crammed packed with merchandise huh.

I'm just feeling creepy about it.

I mean don't get me wrong--I'm not huge material girl at Christmas--I'm just saying wow wow wow and prices are slashed too.

I don't know--what do you think??? You noticing anything different where you live???

15 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 16

It sounds like a good sign that stores are being smarter. Instead of stocking to the gills with too much inventory, then trying to shove it down our throat as an "oh my god you've GOT to have this!" campaign, they've actually paid attention to what's going on and stocked to what they believe will be the REAL demand, and not the media induced demand.

There's also lots of online shopping going on which could account for the empty stores. My daughter is buying a lot of her Christmas from Walmart ... via their website.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:53pm
post #3 of 16

I agree Debbie..I do alot of online shopping because it is convenient and I don't have to leave the warmth of my home...I think with the economies being the way they are...many large companies are scaling back...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:41pm
post #4 of 16

Delivery to the stores is now payment on delivery, not within 30 days.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:48pm
post #5 of 16

It's less crazy here, too. I'd heard that stores ordered a lot less because they don't expect to sell it and can't afford to have it as inventory after Christmas.

I'm liking it. In the last ten years I've felt like Christmas was absolutely out of control. It had gone from being festive to just being maniacal and greedy. I'd love to see a cultural shift to being less materialistic. Sure wish I could talk my DH into that!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 16

Yes I think the less materialistic aspect is a good thing.
And while that's good I wish it had come out of our heart of hearts rather the economic toxicity we're enduring.

I din know you can order from Walmart online. But I usually avoid stores from late November through December--because the of the crowds.

I mean The Gap store was 'bout bare neked. It looked like it was after the after Christmas sales--kinda empty of people too.

But dude, there's tons of places to park out there!!! No lines.
Wish I could say no worries <grimace>

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 16

I know for our family here for the last couple of years, we have focused more on spending more quality time with family and friends rather than on spending for gifts. Getting together for board games and pot luck dinners have been a LOT of fun. No one here is missing the holiday rush to shop.

At our big family Christmas, we now take a small donation from each family and buy one gift for each child under 18. The adults are now just having fun watching the kids and enjoing the company! I think it is teaching the kids about what is really important too - a win win for everyone. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 16

Loucinda, our family christmas's have always been a "buy for the kids only" deal. On my side of the family, my sisters and I have NEVER bought gifts for each other as adults. It was like an unwritten rule that once you turned 18, you were off the christmas list! icon_lol.gif

I'm one of 6 kids, so if you can imagine trying to buy for 5 siblings AND spouses AND their kids ..... no way!! icon_surprised.gif I've read about families who buy for everyone and I can only sit back and wonder how in the world they do it.

On my husband's side of the family, we buy for the kids and you can buy for an adult if you want to, but there's no pressure or expectation in either direction on adult gifts. Very low stress.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:23pm
post #9 of 16

We live in a small town and surrounding towns aren't much better so we also do a lot of shopping on line. Only buy Christmas gifts for the two grandchildren and a small gift for my son and his wife and that is it.

Every once in a while we order from Wal-Mart on-line as they usually don't have what we want in the store. Where I live they have a special area in the back of the store that they put in about a year ago(as this method has grown) just for pick up of on-line orders and there is no shipping to pay for. Wal-Mart also sells coffins on-line. I wonder how that works. I doubt that the funeral home would pick it up for you since they want you to buy from them. We don't have do it yourself funerals in Wisconsin.

Just heard on the news last week that Penney's will no longer be putting out a hard copy catalog next year. Darn - good bathroom reading material!

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:27pm
post #10 of 16

I just started seeing the ads for Walmart where you can order on-line and they ship it FREE to a store where you pick it up. I love that idea. I wish someone would do that with fondant!!

When I tried to get my husband's family to at least draw names and buy one nice thing for one person, they all looked at me like I'd suggested a Communist takeover of the government. They're such a bunch of money grubbers, it ruins Christmas for me. I dread it every year.

indydebi Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

I just started seeing the ads for Walmart where you can order on-line and they ship it FREE to a store where you pick it up. I love that idea. I wish someone would do that with fondant!!

Ah, man, wouldn't THAT be great!

Quote:

When I tried to get my husband's family to at least draw names and buy one nice thing for one person, they all looked at me like I'd suggested a Communist takeover of the government. They're such a bunch of money grubbers, it ruins Christmas for me. I dread it every year.

Do the George Costanza thing .... give them a certificate telling them that since you couldn't afford a nice gift for everyone, then you just pooled the money and a donation has been made in the family name to The Human Fund! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 8:57pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

Payless shoes has done this for a long time. I love it.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 9:59pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:

I used to have the same situation with my in-laws. Now that most of the men in the family are laid-off (they are almost all in the construction industry) it is a different story.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:05pm
post #14 of 16

We tried the draw a name for 2 years and it was a bust. It would work if everyone was there at the same time and had the same budget, but was a mess for us as that turned out to be the year we started going at different times..

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 10:53pm
post #15 of 16

My MIL's birthday is 1/27, and one year we told her we wanted to combine her Christmas and birthday gifts and buy her a really nice VCR/DVD player (that she wanted) which was much more than we would have spent on two smaller gifts for Xmas and Bday. She gave us a look like we were THE worst cheapskates she'd ever known.

The woman is 75 years old and she can't grasp the idea that we wanted to give her something that she would NOT have gotten for either Christmas or her birthday because it was too much money, but she made it clear she felt cheated. What an ingrate. Mind you, we always drive the hour to get her, take her to a nice dinner, and drive her back home on her birthday, too. Ugh, she's just the worst.

Ruth0209 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 11:07pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle_75

Quote:

I used to have the same situation with my in-laws. Now that most of the men in the family are laid-off (they are almost all in the construction industry) it is a different story.

I'm really, REALLY hoping this is the silver lining in this recession - that we collectively do a bit of a re-set and start finding ways to do things that are meaningful and memorable instead of just throwing money at everyone at Christmas.

Every Xmas, my girls and I made a gingerbread house together, and I can guarantee you that they remember and treasure those gingerbread house building sessions more than any gifts they ever got for Xmas. I also took them every year and had them pick out a gift for a girl their age that we gave to Toys for Tots. My kids always got so much at Xmas, I wanted them to understand how privileged they were.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%