Press And Seal

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 5:17am by luvmysmoother

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:51am
post #1 of 5

I have read on here where a lot of you all use the press and seal wrap on your boards to set you cakes on, This is my question, When cutting the cake will it get into the cake that your going to serve, Just wondering , I have used contact paper before and was worried about the chemical smell , i can smell sometimes , Also some use Masonite boards for the cake to sit on some cover with fondant and some with the fanci foil ,i know that the first cake will be on a board either cardboard or Foam board, If you transfer the cake on the masonite board do you all anchor it with icing or what, Thanks everyone

4 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:06am
post #2 of 5

I always cover my masonite board with a thin coat of RI and then fondant. The edges I decorate with ribbon. I use the press and seal to cover the cakes after they have cooled and put them into the fridge overnight to get cold before I torte them and dirty ice. Ive heard of people using the Press n Seal for dummy cakes underneath the fondant but not for covering a board with by itself. Hope this helps!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:25am
post #3 of 5

I use press and seal to cover my cardboard or foam core cake circles. Even if the cardboard is food safe I still cover it as I learned the hard way with a 6 inch tier that absorbed moisture from the cake and then became unstable when I wanted to move it. Good thing it was only a small tier and I was able to move it from the cardboard circle and put it on a new one COVERED WITH PRESS AND SEAL!

I have never had problems when cutting a cake on the press and seal with any pieces coming off from cutting on it. I have had problems with foil as I tried that at one time but don't like the look and the bulk of it.

I put all of my cakes on a cake circle of some sort covered with press and seal and then I take that tier and place it on a larger wooden circle (DH made them for me) or on several cardboard circles clued together to make a base strong enough or thick foam core. I always cover my base with food safe foil or if I use some type of covering that is not safe I cover it with the food safe cellophane that you can get at Michael's.

I take duct tape and fold it over so that the sticky side is on the outside and place several pieces on my covered board and then place my bottom tier that is on the cake circle on top of that. Let me tell you the duct tape holds as I have all I want to do to pull the two pieces apart later so that I can take my wood circle back home with me.

Sorry this is so long.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 2:41am
post #4 of 5

i too use press-n-seal all the time and so far never had a problem with it when cutting the cake. im usually the one cutting the cut but its never come off.
using press-n-seal has made it easier to use the foam core which other wise is not food safe.
and i even attach my cakes with alittle melted chocolate onto the press-n-seal and its never come off.

luvmysmoother Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmysmoother Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:17am
post #5 of 5

I LOVE press and seal - protects the cardboard from grease stains, wetness, has no odour whatsoever, and doesn't rip apart during cutting plus it's easy and economical to booticon_smile.gif Press and seal is also pretty noticeable if you have a shred of it stuck to a piece of cake - it's opaque and crinkly rather than thin, shiny, less noticeable saran wrap...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%