50/50 Gum Paste/fondant Can't Get Folds Out!

Decorating By cakesrock Updated 10 Dec 2009 , 7:25am by Ursula40

cakesrock Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:25am
post #1 of 10

When I use a 50/50 gum paste/fondant mix and roll it flat, no problem.. But when I try to do a different shape (e.g. 3-D round object such as a wheel), I knead and knead and cannot seem to get the folds out! They end up as part of my wheel and it looks bad...

Any tips? Please help...TIA icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
cakenutz Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:59am
post #2 of 10

Do you find your mix to dry? What kind of fondant and paste are you mixing together? I usually like a 50/50 because it takes longer to dry. Its hard to diagnose without touching it Maybe you could try doing your wheel with straight fondant to see if it acts the same way could be the designs problem not your mix. I know I didn't help much. Good luck.

Icing2009 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 5:43am
post #3 of 10

I find that I have the same problem. I used straight gumpaste for parts on a semi truck, I needed them to be dry before I put them on the cake so they dont bend but I had a very hard time trying to get the creases and stuff out. Finally i had to try and get most out on one side and put the bad side against the truck where it can't be seen. But I would also like to know how to get them out so I can make things look better in the future and more professional since this was for my son. I would also like the advice to. What do we need to do to fix it?

sugarandslice Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:49am
post #4 of 10

I was having exactly the same problem and now I use fondant with Tylose instead. It still dries hard but is much more pliable while you're working with it. It may take a little longer to dry but is easier to work with.

Icing2009 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:52am
post #5 of 10

Thanks, now where can I get Tylose? The only cake supplies here are at wal-mart which aren't many. so let me know where toget it or whatever.

sugarandslice Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 7:42am
post #6 of 10

Sorry Monyca, I'm in Australia so can't help you with the names of stores etc but I think you'll easily find it online from most cake decoration suppliers. I always get mine online.

Icing2009 Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 10

Ok I probably should have looked where you were from before I asked, lol. It's ok, I am sure I can find it online, I have this website I go to that has everything you can imagine on there so I should check it out. Thanks for the help!

sugarandslice Posted 9 Dec 2009 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 10

No worries. Good luck

cakesrock Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 4:20am
post #9 of 10

I was at my local cake decorating supply store and asked for tylose. She said gumtex would do the same thing. You can buy it at Michael's if you have one where you are....

I will try that instead of doing the 50/50 mix. Hopefully that will take care of the folds/creases. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Posted 10 Dec 2009 , 7:25am
post #10 of 10

you need to roll it in the heel of your hand until you get a smooth ball, use a bit of pressure. When you model something always start with a smooth ball and then after the ball is without creases, you mold it into whatever shape you want. it sometimes does take a long time, patience is important

Quote by @%username% on %date%