Lemon Cake Help

Decorating By benthebaker Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 5:30am by benthebaker

benthebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
benthebaker Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 12:47am
post #1 of 6

Hello, I'm new to the website and I just need some ideas.

At school on wednesday I have a cooking exam, I'm 14. I have cooked this cake about 10 times but I'm still struggling with ideas on how to decorate it. It's a square cake and I'd be greatful for any of your ideas on how i could decorate this cake.

Thanks in advance ~Ben~

5 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:26am
post #2 of 6

There are so many possibilities, Ben. CC should be able to give you an idea. Do you want to decorate with your school colors/mascot? Since it's a lemon cake, are you thinking about having lemon-related decorations? You could also do a Christmas theme. Just make sure you post your completed project! It's great to see you developing a decorating interest at your age!

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 1:37am
post #3 of 6

Incorporating your school colors sounds great! You said you are new to this site, - have you done any decorating before? have you done any borders, piping, flowers, etc?

benthebaker Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:59am
post #4 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions icon_smile.gif

I've not done any decorating before.

I'm thinking of putting lemon slices or zest on top of the cake, but I'm wondering how do you curl lemon zest like in this picture:
http://www.us.ayushveda.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/lemon-zest.jpg
I'm also wondering whether i should put any icing on the cake
If anyone knows how to curl the lemon zest please reply as it would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Bunsen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunsen Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:26am
post #5 of 6

The zest has been removed using a zesting tool - it's actually in the picture but you can't see it too clearly. You need to hold the lemon in one hand and with the other press on firmly and pull the tool towards you in one long continuous movement and you will get long curls.

As for icing you can make a simple lemon icing by adding lemon juice to powdered sugar - keep adding a bit at a time until you have icing you can just pour. Then pour over the cake and let it drip down the sides, then add the zest curls on top.

If you want to try your hand at piping you can make lemon flavoured butter cream and try piping swirls, then top with the zest.

Good luck!

benthebaker Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:30am
post #6 of 6

Thankyou, I think im off to bed now since its 5:30am
ciao.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%