Omg, I Think Someone Is Trying To Scam Me! Please Look.....

Decorating By JCE62108 Updated 30 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm by VillageConfections

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #61 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_for_fun

Yesterday, I got an email from PayPal that my account was about to expire, log on today through this link to renew it. I've never heard of paypal accounts expiring, so I opened another tab and went to paypal's website, there's no sign of my account expiring. I also had a few years ago that I did not use it in a long time and it didn't expire, now I used it just a few months ago, and they're telling me its expiring due to inactivity. Paypal has an email address to forward all suspicious emails to. Most people know to be careful, but they just have to catch one person to win, we all have to be careful every time.

I got an e-mail like that a few weeks ago, sad part is, the e-mail it came through, I dont ever remember having a paypal account through. I just deleted it.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #62 of 68

the message on your phone sounds like a TTD call (the phone service for the deaf), an intervening operator does the talking for them on phones without TTD service.

YES, it's a scam. The phone companies are trying to figure out how to stop them from using TTD services.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:42am
post #63 of 68

Yes, I had a similar TDD call. Called TDD and they said I had to file with FCC, so that's what I did.

HeavenlyFrostings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeavenlyFrostings Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:01am
post #64 of 68

OMG~ thank you for posting this. I got the same message. The first message I thought I finally got another client. When I replied and asked him for more details, I got the same message as JCE62108.

Thank you for posting this scam. I get suspicious everytime I get an order now because of scammers like this person. (mod edited for content) I'm sick and tired of people taking advantage of other folks who are working so hard just to make ends meet.

Anyway, just venting. Thanks again for your post. I hope many people realize these type of scams and not fall for it.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:35am
post #65 of 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda

My favorite is the nice young US Marine stationed in Afghanistan, who happened upon a large stash of money, belonging (of course) to a terrorist faction. The only way he and his buddy can get the money into the US is if some nice, patriotic individual (sucker) like me, gives him my bank account information to transfer the money into. I felt so privileged to be able to help.

NOT!

icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:57am
post #66 of 68

I worked in banking for many years.... and saw how many elders get swindled out of their little savings by scammers... it's sad... but keep this in mind... if you get "that" feeling, like something doesn't "jive" (sp?)... delete... if they want the cake... they will call you or try another avenue to contact you.... but don't fall prey to scams.... a lot of the time these are computer programs that send the emails and electronically make the tdd phone calls, etc....

We need to be educated by reading things like this thread and keeping an eye for odd req.s....

LucyStone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyStone Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 11:02pm
post #67 of 68

This guy has contacted our bakery 3 times. I am called by a "relay operater" to relay the message for a large cake order for a Thursday afternoon. He then e-mails me the details and is too quick to settle for subsitutions when I can't fill his order. When I ask where he is located he stops communication. He uses the the e-mail address: [email protected]. Diffinitaly a scam.

VillageConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VillageConfections Posted 30 Apr 2010 , 8:44pm
post #68 of 68

Our bakery in Mississippi got a telephone call from someone identifying themselves Steven Nicole. Followed up with the identical email. Wanted us to charge the cake ($980) and shipping charges of nearly $1000 that we would pay the shipper when they picked up the cake. He wanted it within 10 days. It was to be shipped to Canada.

I have notified our state's Attorney General office and local police. I have since learned that another local bakery lost money in the scam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%