How Much Cmc Do You Use In Lodge's Recipe?

Decorating By windemire Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 11:42pm by dsilvest

windemire Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

For those of you who make gumpaste using CMC powder and Nick Lodge's recipe, can you please tell me how much CMC powder to use?

I made a batch yesterday using 11 tsp (which is the amount of Tylose called for), and ended up with a substance suitable only for a paperweight.

I'm thinking maybe 5 tsp? I can't find any info in the forums specific to CMC, so thought I'd ask before wasting more time.

Thanks for your help!

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:43pm
post #2 of 7

I use 10 or 11 teaspoons. It will be stiff and a little crumbly when you first take it out of the fridge. Break off a piece, put a little crisco on your fingers and knead the paste, picking up the lumps if they fall off and sticking it all together. It will turn into a lovely stretchy ball of gumpaste.

11cupcakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 7

I do not know Lodge's receipe, but you can find one on Ron Ben-Israel's youTube videos.

windemire Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 7

I couldn't break off a piece of the gumpaste even with a knife. It was a rock. I felt like Charlie Brown on Halloween!

After much frustration, I finally stuck it in the microwave for 5 seconds, which softened it up nicely, but after kneading it with Crisco for a good 30 minutes, I still had a crumbley, greasy mess.

If you've had success using 11 tsp, maybe I did something else wrong...I'll give it another after we get back from a short trip.

Thanks for your help! thumbs_up.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 7

I just looked at my jar and it says the ingredients are CMC and dextrin. So it would be at least 50% CMC, but dextrin is a thickener too. I don't know, maybe try 7 teaspoons and see how that does for you.

Microwaving isn't supposed to help it, someone asked Nick Lodge about that before and he said that if you microwave it, it would just end up cooking the egg white and not be usable after that.

windemire Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 7

I bought my CMC from Chefrubber, and there aren't any ingredients listed, so I'm assuming it's pure CMC, with no additives. That's why I think I might need less than if I used Tylose (which contains additives, correct?).

Looks like a little experimentation is in order. I'll post the final results when I figure it out.

dsilvest Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

If your gumpaste is that hard, break some off, warm it up and then add it to a same size ball of fondant. It is more workable. You may have to play with the amount of fondant that you mix it with. It will be much easier to work with and is like gumpaste after it rests.

Quote by @%username% on %date%