Need Idea For Classroom Treat

Decorating By CakesByJen2 Updated 11 Dec 2009 , 3:54am by letsgetcaking

CakesByJen2 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 20

My son's birthday is on Christmas, and he wants to take something to school to share on the last day of school. Most kids bring cupcakes or cookies for their b'day, but in my experience the kids don't actually eat the cupcakes. So I'm trying to think of some other small, cute treat to make that the kids might actually eat, but isn't too time consuming. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

19 replies
staceytisdale Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 20

I made some Valentine's Day treat last year by baking cupcakes in ice cream cones. The kids LOVED them and some even asked me this year if I am doing it again. Here's a photo on CC that I used for inspiration. They make Christmas m&m's you could use.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1189519

sweet-n-sassy Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 20

what about a cookie cake? at the bakery i work in we had some around valintine's day but hadn't had them scince until a man came in on sun night wanting a cookie cake for mon morning to take to school for his daughter's birthday. i went ahead and made it for him (usually we require 48 hours for orders) he told me later that every bit of it was gone and the kids loved it

miny Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 20

Why don't you fill disposable piping bags with hot cocoa mix, some marsmellows, tie it with a colorful ribbon and decorate it like Santa, to be honest I do not remember the link but I know I saw this idea here on CC, maybe you can do a quick search. HTH

AverageMom Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #5 of 20

Cookies are always popular. PLEASE don't send cupcakes. Have you ever watched a small child eat a cupcake? First, the lick it. Then the try to peel the paper off, which leads to a crumbling pile of cake in their hands. Then, they dive in face first, trying to get the icing all in their mouth at once. Meanwhile, the teacher is seeing a snowstorm of cupcake crumbs, discarded wrappers, and icing covered faces. ARGHHHHH!!!!!

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 20

how lucky is your son that his school still allows cupcakes and cookies to be brought in!
around here its all been banned! peanut allergies. and my grandaughters daycare doesnt allow any sweets at all. for her birthday last year. i had to bring cheese/crackers and fruit. ugh-somehow just takes the fun out of a birthday.
cookie pops would be a good idea. they are neat and can be packaged nicely.

Margieluvstobake Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 20

Have you seen some of the Christmas cake pops on the bakerella.com website? They are just cake balls decorated for Christmas on sticks. They are small and I think the kids would go crazy over them. They would also not be messy to eat.

emiyeric Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 20

I've done RKTs very successfully at my kids' schools. Did eyeballs, for example, for Halloween ... how about making them snowmen and just piping eyes and a nose on? Or piping a little Santa hat on? It avoids the allergy issues of peanuts/chocolate/wheat products entirely, and the mess is far easier to clean up than cupcakes. Not to mention, I finish a batch of 25 of these in half an hour easily, complete with decoration, where it takes me a far longer time to do anything baked. HTH!

CakesByJen2 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks for all the suggestions; we're still thinking about it.

I totally agree about cupcakes. I HATE them, and I don't understand why people insist on having them at the school parties. The kids don't even eat them, and they are much messier than a piece of cake with a plate & fork. BUt it's the teachers who keep asking for them, go figure! You'd think with all the classroom parties the teachers would have noticed the same patterns I have, the kids don't eat cupcakes, barely touch cookies and candy, but love any fresh fruit, chex mix, and cheese puffs!

madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 20

I send cupcakes for my grandaughter and wow they wolf them down. I have to make extra for the teachers haha

miny Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

how lucky is your son that his school still allows cupcakes and cookies to be brought in!
around here its all been banned!

I know what you mean, las October was my son's birthday and his teacher told me if I wanted to bring something for the kids she would only allow carrot sticks or sliced apples, and I thought what kind of crappy celebration would that be! I mean, my kids eat that everyday and their birthdays are only once a year, they wait a whole year to stuff their faces with sugary treats made specially for them, why stop them? the very next day they can eat healthy again.

madgeowens Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 4:27am
post #12 of 20

What are they the food Nazi now? Lord

TexasSugar Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:59am
post #13 of 20

Brownies? icon_smile.gif

CeeTee Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:55pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

around here its all been banned!

I know what you mean, las October was my son's birthday and his teacher told me if I wanted to bring something for the kids she would only allow carrot sticks or sliced apples, and I thought what kind of crappy celebration would that be! I mean, my kids eat that everyday and their birthdays are only once a year, they wait a whole year to stuff their faces with sugary treats made specially for them, why stop them? the very next day they can eat healthy again.

It's the same at my nieces' school, and at Sunday School. Has nothing to do with wanting to be killjoys tho. Fruits and Veggies are guarenteed to be dairy/gluten/nut/allergen free for the most part, so they are the only snacks we can serve without having a kid risk going into anaphalactic shock. It gets REALLY annoying to have to try to organize different snacks for every kid who has a dietary restriction, so by keeping it 'safe', it makes life easy.

Last week in Sunday School the directors had us do a snack craft which involved making pepperoni pizza lions. Very cute! Unfortunately, we had one kid who couldn't have cheese and another who couldn't have tomato sauce so it caused some problems. (Biggest kicker? I'm allergic to pepperoni! So it's not just a kid-only thing!)

Food allergies suck... thumbsdown.gif

CeeTee Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 2:55pm
post #15 of 20

go go double post...

MerlotCook Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:06pm
post #16 of 20

I like to core a whole apple and fill it with partially set up Jello. Then you slice it to where it's an apple slice with a hole filled with Jello in the middle. My kids all love these "apple giggles".

mbelgard Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 9:48pm
post #17 of 20

Are they really going to have time to do something for your son's birthday on the last day of school before break? I know that our kids always go to a movie, see Santa and have a holiday party before they get let out early so it's a busy day. They also have tons of treats brought in for the party so nothing gets finished.

I'm pretty sure that the teacher would be pleased if you arranged to bring something either a day or two early or the day they start back from break.

I'm also of the opinion that it doesnt' really matter if the kids eat all of what gets brought in or not but that the birthday child is pleased with the treat so unless your son is very small asking him what he would like might be best.

Nikkicakes Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:19am
post #18 of 20

My son needs a treat for school also. I had a friend make me these super cute and easy treats. You take a Joy kiddie ice cream cone and dip the end in melted chocolate or candy melts, then you insert a marshmallow( I found strawberry, chocolate and caramel marshmallows at Super Walmart) then you dip the other end of the marshmallow in any color melting chocolate and top with sprinkles. They are super cute and look like real icecream cones! I plan on packing them in there own little bag with a ribbon. Good luck, and Happy Birthday to your little one!

KateLS Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 1:54am
post #19 of 20

how about the marshmellow snowmen idea. Marshmellows, pretzels, candy for the eyes and hat, licorice rope for smile, candy for buttons.

My daughter's birthday is also on Christmas break. I so wish I could do some of these these cute ideas! In our school district we're only allowed to bring store purchased treats. Nothing homemade whatsoever. =( For my daughter's birthday party last week, we had a pizza party before cupcakes. However, she has a friend that is deathly allergic to milk. If she touches someone hands with cheese grease, she breaks out in hives. If she then put her hand in her mouth, her throat closes off and we'd have to run to the E.R. So she came a half hour late to avoid the pizza. We had all of the kids wash their hands and face one by one. We also took down the table and chairs, and used a clean, separate table for the cupcakes. I made the cupcakes and frosting from scratch, making sure it was dairy free. Got both recipes from CC. =) The girl's mom said that it was the first bday party she was allowed to go to without her parents. Life must be hard with such allergies!
And the kids were great with the cupcakes! The cupcakes were virtually crumbless, and they loved squeezing the frosting out of the ziplock bags! I think only 3 out of 18 didn't eat it. ( this was a combined party for my daughter and her friend. We did it in the gym of our church.)

sorry so long. Just thought I'd share! =)

letsgetcaking Posted 11 Dec 2009 , 3:54am
post #20 of 20

It looks like you already have a lot of great ideas here, but I thought I'd throw out one more:

Those melted snowman cookies I've seen on Cake Central lately are really cute. I think the kids would get a kick out of them and they're probably not very messy.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1534920

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%