Toba Garett's Fondant

Baking By jouj Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm by jouj

jouj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jouj Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 13

I tried Toba Garett's fondant last week, I liked the softness and the taste, but it was so hard when i wanted to cover a cake, the fondant was easily breaking whenever I was carrying it to the cake after rolling it. Is there anything I can do to avoid that?
Thanks in advance.

12 replies
jouj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 9:55pm
post #2 of 13

Does anyone know the reason?
Thank You.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:02pm
post #3 of 13

I always warm my fondant up in the micro for about 10-30 seconds (depending on the amount) and it makes it nice and soft and much easier to roll out and get on the cake. Not sure if that is what you mean by it is so hard, but maybe try that and see if it helps you be able to roll it out easier. Good luck!

jouj Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 13

Thank you for your reply, I just read wat I wrote befor, I didn't mean that the fondnt gets hard, I meant that it was not easy to carry it to the cake after rolling it. It's very soft, but it breaks very easily.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #5 of 13

how far are u carrying it? my advice would be bring the cake to the fondant rather then you bring the fondant to the cake. check the recipe, maybe you measured wrong or missed something thats causing your fondant to loose is stretch.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 13

I haven't used Toba's recipe, but when my MMF is too soft, I usually just add some more PS until I get it to the right consistency.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:04pm
post #7 of 13

I didn't care for Toba's fondant either. It was really sweet and not as workable. Have you tried Michele Foster's fondant recipe? It's here in the recipe section. It is MUCH better in workability than Toba's fondant. If I make fondant, it's my go-to recipe. icon_smile.gif

How long did you let it set up before using it? It really does have to set up overnight before you use it.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:18pm
post #8 of 13

I've been using Toba's for a little while now, first fondant I made myself, and all summer it worked awesome then the last two cakes I needed it for it completely fell apart, I figured it was the weather and I rushed and didn't knead in enough powdered sugar so next time I took my time and used almost 3lbs of sugar and just kept adding more and more and what do you know? it firmed up perfectly and was a dream to use again. I use IMBC under mine and love the sweetness of Toba's fondant with the not too sweet bc, good combo for me. I may try Michele Foster's, and MMf, have them both saved but for right now I'm happy with Toba's, don't give up!

jouj Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 5:57pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks for the replies.
alliebear: I'm not carrying it far, I put the cake next to the rolling mat.
tootie0809: I love MMF, and have used it forever, but sometimes I can't find marshmallow, so it's better to find an alternative.
FromScratch: I read Michele Foster' recipe, but I was worried about it containing milk, doesn't it have a short life?
Jeep_girl816: I'll try adding more sugar next time, and see what will happen.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 7:01pm
post #10 of 13

It lasts for months if stored properly... There is so little milk and all that sugar which makes it inhospitable to bacteria. I've had it go moldy after 4 months when I didn't wrap it well and forgot about it... LOL. If you are going to have it around for months, keep it in the fridge and it lasts longer, but I rarely have fondant around for more than a few weeks. Give it a try... you won't be disappointed. I made a batch this weekend for a cake... it performs as well as (if not better than) most commercial brands I have tried.

I tend to buy my fondant these days since the thought of making 40 pounds of fondant send me into convulsions... LOL... but when I only have one cake and need fondant I'll just make it and I use Michele's recipe.

jouj Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:15pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks again, I will try Michelle Foster's fondant soon, I never keep ,my fondant for more than 2 weeks, I prefer to make it fresh.

bumma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bumma Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:15pm
post #12 of 13

I just made my first mmf - oh my god - so so awesome to work with I rolled it as thin as possible and could still hang it over my hand and never lost shape and did not tear. amazing.I just filled a large mixing bowl with large mallows and 2 tblsp of water and set it in the micowave for 30 seconds, 4 times and stirred at intervals. I put 3 cups of icing sugar on my greased coutertop and poured the mallow mix on the sugar and slowly, gentley rolled the fondant in the icing sugar til I could actually knead it. I took out any sticky lumps as I was rolling the mix. It came out so very smooth. I left it overnight in saran wrap and worked with it the next evening, without having to put it in the micro wave at all.

jouj Posted 8 Dec 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 13

bumma: I have been using MMF for around 4 years now, I JUST LOVE IT, but as I said before, sometimes I can't find marshmallow, so I need an alternative.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%