Preparing The Cake For Fondant

Decorating By WendyRainbow Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 9:55am by WendyRainbow

WendyRainbow Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:52am
post #1 of 9

I have been doing a lot of research and am a little confused about something. Most books and videos show the procedure for fondant icing is to lay marzipan first. But some cakes just don't go well with marzipan. Is it then acceptable to use a butter cream icing before the fondant? In this case would i still crumb coat it then ice it with the butter cream icing, let that set and then put on the fondant? Am i still going to be able to get a smooth finish? One book i have says if not using marzipan, do two layers of fondant. This seems a bit too much to me.. it doesn't even mention butter cream icing the cake then fondant.

8 replies
madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:07am
post #2 of 9

I frost my cake, smooth it once it crusts and then chill it for an hour or more before covering it with fondant....by chilling the cake well first, if you need to move the fondant the cake will not be murdered in the process ;O, its more forgiving...and easier to cover when cold..hth

Bunsen Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:12am
post #3 of 9

You might also want to try ganache under your fondant - there are several threads on here that will help you out.

Buttercream, ganache, marzipan - use whatever goes best with your cake!

Elise87 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:15am
post #4 of 9

The only time i have seen marzipan being used is on a fruit cake or some others because buttercream and other frosting don't go well with them. I think that is to give a smooth surface for the fondant to go on so there are no lumps and bumps from the fruit etc

Most commonly people either put buttercream or ganache (melted chocolate with cream) on their cakes under their fondant and u don't usually see the fondant on really thick or double layer either because that is usually too sweet and putting these frosting on is also because fondant can be a bit dry on it's own but frosting/ganache helps eliminate that and also if people don't like fondant they can peel that off and eat the frosting/ganache instead.

With most people including me put a thin crumb coat layer of buttercream on and then another layer just so you don't get any crumbs in the second coat that will show up on the fondant.

As long as you smooth your buttercream pretty well yes you can usually get a nice smooth finish on the fondant, putting a crusting buttercream also helps with that in my opinion icon_smile.gif However if you put your fondant on too thin then you will see more imperfections, you want it slightly thicker but not really thick, jsut medium

If you use ganache you will also usually get a really smooth surface with crisper edges because the ganache provides a nice firm suface to work on.

HTH icon_smile.gif

WendyRainbow Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:27am
post #5 of 9

Wow thats all great advice! Thanks everyone! So if you use ganache, it would be still good to chill that first before putting on the fondant right? And if you use a ganache or buttercream layer, when you put on the fondant do you need to put something on the icing to make the fondant stick to it?

Elise87 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:31am
post #6 of 9

I'll let someone else comment on the ganache but when i use my crusting buttercream I VERY LIGHTLY spritz the cake with water just to make it slightly sticky again to stick the fondant on

madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:34am
post #7 of 9

I never sprits my buttercream prior to fondant and so far have hav no problems, I can't say about ganache, I have not tried it....no one in this area seems to like ganache but me haha

Bunsen Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:57am
post #8 of 9

Ganache doesn't need to be chilled but it does need time to set up and harden. Then I brush with a syrup made from apricot jam and water to stick the fondant but I know some people just use water.

WendyRainbow Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 9:55am
post #9 of 9

This has all been very helpful thanks heaps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%