Structures For 3D Cakes

Decorating By sweetcreationsbiz Updated 9 Jun 2011 , 7:13am by Kellbella

sweetcreationsbiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbiz Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:06am
post #1 of 8

Im curious to know what tools from a hardware store such as pipe (plastic and metal) and wood boards I will need if I ever want to make cakes with alot of hardware like Ace of Cakes make.

Another example would be making a santa stand like in this picture attachment

Thanks for your help
LL

7 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:14am
post #2 of 8

That particular stand is from cal java. It doesn't work to post a link to it, but you can google cal java and once you're on their website, click on "tools" and then "cake study" to find it.

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:25am
post #3 of 8

I see them use PVC, I see them use threaded pipe, electrical conduit mounts, wood, copper... you're going to have to use imagination for each project a head to Home Depot to look. Some of those are the most common though.

As for tools.. PVC cutter, saw, and a Dremel is a must! If you really want to use copper you'll need a butane torch and need to learn how to sweat copper piping. Power drill / screwdriver is a must also. For wood work the Dremel, power saws, sanders and possibly electric nail / staple gun.

Don't forget... if using this for a structure it MUST be covered so as not to touch the cake. It's just not sanitary.

Good Luck.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:53am
post #4 of 8

In my photos, there is a picture of a standing clown and another of a dancing elephant. yep, don't know why I chose an elephant. icon_redface.gif

Anyway, the clown was made in a class with Bronwen Weber. We learned how to make support like that. The hardware store is your best friend. thumbs_up.gif I use mdf for the base and then a metal flange screwed to the mdf. Everything else is pvc pipe and plastic plates. IN the class, all of the parts were provided. But we learned how to design your cakes. I designed the elephant then went to the hardware store and had a blast!! I highly recommend a Bronwen class if you can go. They are awesome and I learned sooo much in one day.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 12:35am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracycakes

In my photos, there is a picture of a standing clown and another of a dancing elephant. yep, don't know why I chose an elephant. icon_redface.gif

Anyway, the clown was made in a class with Bronwen Weber. We learned how to make support like that. The hardware store is your best friend. thumbs_up.gif I use mdf for the base and then a metal flange screwed to the mdf. Everything else is pvc pipe and plastic plates. IN the class, all of the parts were provided. But we learned how to design your cakes. I designed the elephant then went to the hardware store and had a blast!! I highly recommend a Bronwen class if you can go. They are awesome and I learned sooo much in one day.

What is "mdf" ?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DerrellC Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 3:38am
post #7 of 8

MDF = Medium density fiberboard is a engineered wood product hardboard,made by mixing wood and a binder under heat and pressure.Don't confuse with flakey chip board.MDF is very stable but is a little heavy compaired to plywood.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 9 Jun 2011 , 7:13am
post #8 of 8

thumbs_up.gif Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%