How To Make A Palm Tree?

Decorating By Bel_Anne Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 5:01am by Bel_Anne

Bel_Anne Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:03am
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a little beach cake and need to make a palm tree. I was going to cut a piece of clean hose and wrap fondant around it for the trunk.... (I'm not sure if that's even a good idea, haha?). But I'm unsure for the leaves.. Do I have to individually wire each leaf? Anyone who's make one before, I'd appreciate any help. Thanks... icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Bel_Anne Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:19am
post #2 of 7

Anyone? icon_smile.gif

sleeper713 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:27am
post #3 of 7

I wrapped dowel rods with brown fondant, pressed hash marks into the fondant to look like the bark; left the dowels long enough so that there was plenty of uncovered length to stick down into the cake, very stable. For the leaves, used a regular leaf cutter and green gumpaste. Once you've cut out your leaves, make a few snips in each side to look like palm leaves. Place on flower formers to dry so they curve. Attach to dowel trunks with melted candy melts tinted same color as leaves. I used royal icing at first, but candy melts hardened faster and was stronger. HTH!

alene Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:35am
post #4 of 7

I used large pretzel sticks for the trunk. Pressed little pieces of brown fondant on the pretzel and just cut out fondant leaves for the tops. Not very good at expaining.

Jeep_girl816 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

Wilton(of all places) has an excellent page on making palm trees, pretty much like "sleeper713" described. They have step by step pics that are very helpful. I used them a few months ago to make the beach cake in my pics section. Here's the link: http://www.wilton.com/technique/Palm-Tree Good luck and post pics!

Cristi-Tutty Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 7
Bel_Anne Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 5:01am
post #7 of 7

Thanks for all the great tips! Everyone is so helpful on here - I love it! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%