New At This....would Like Some Help....please!

Decorating By regansmom Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 8:01am by madgeowens

regansmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
regansmom Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:48am
post #1 of 6

I am starting this cake thing from my home. I am new at this and was wondering if I could get some tips. Even though I support the top tiers with sticks and put the upper tiers on cardboard, my bottom still seems to start to collapse. What am I doing wrong? Also, you can always see the layers in my cake through the fondant/rbc. I think I put enough frosting under...any suggestions? Bubbles under the fondant/rbc...how do I get rid of them?

Also...I watch all those cake shows on TV and they are always throwing their cakes around...If I ever did that, they would Break in half!!! I use a box mix but still, my cakes are moist. Does anyone have a good cake recipe that is still good but a little more firm???

Thanks for the Help!!!

5 replies
aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:58am
post #2 of 6

hello and welcome to CC!
you will get alot of tips from the pros here. i just wanted to welcome you and let you know you are very good hands!! you can also try and do a search under 'how do i'. there will be alot of helpful info there.
good luck and enjoy your new addiction!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:04am
post #3 of 6

Welcome to CC! I would head straight to the forums and do a search for each of your questions

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forums-search.html

Don't forget to check out the articles and tutorials...lots of info...

windemire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windemire Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:05am
post #4 of 6

Welcome! icon_smile.gif

Check out this thread; there are a ton of links on the first page that will answer most, if not all, of your current questions. http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

If you have additional questions, or need extra help with something, I'm sure you'll get lots of input. You'll find most everyone here very friendly willing to help, and offer opinions.

CakesByAdriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByAdriana Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:21am
post #5 of 6

Welcome to CC. You came to the right place. You will find anything you need and alot of helpand advise from everyone. I have gained so much in such a short time from everyone here.

As for your problems. Could be a number of things... you might not be using enough dowels, if you can see the cake threw the fondant you might not have enough icing but be careful not to use too much this will also cause the cake to collapse. Maybe your fondant is rolled to thin. Also try refrigerating your cakes after icing to firm up before you add the fondant and spray a fine mist of water on the cake before applying fondant ( to help fondant stick), smooth top part of cake before working on the parimeter this should help with the bubbles.

As for the cakes I think that they are delicate because they are moist. You need a denser cake. And I would also like a good recipe LOL.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me anytime.

Does anyone else have some advise?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:01am
post #6 of 6

welcome to cc. Maybe you need to cover the cardboard with wax or parchment paper to keep the moisture from your cake leaching into the board and making the board soft....I am not a expert, but I know this has happened to me, and thats how I cured it. As for the bubbles in the fondant, use a pin to prick a teeny hole and then smooth, I also use toothpick. HTH
Madge

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%