Advice From The Pros? Getting Started Early?

Business By SugarNSpiceDiva Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 3:41am by kiikip

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:20am
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone!

I've been doing a lot of research about getting my own cake business started. Right now, I live on an Army base and have already started the process of getting a vendor's license to sell cakes here on post. I do still want to get a lot more practice. I'm not going to be jumping into wedding cakes or anything. But a few party cakes for friends, aquaintances and co workers to finance my habit while I practice. icon_rolleyes.gif

So I'm thinkin 1 to 2 years to actually get a real business going. Lately I'm been makin cakes left and right. Mainly for practice, but also cuz I'm addicted. lol. So, hypothetically one cake a week for two years is 104 cakes.

So I've already got a name I really want to use. I looked it up, and the .com is available. Also I checked with the ficticious business name people and it's available there too. I really like it, and I don't want to come back later and it not be available.

So, would it be smart to get the business aspects of it going early? Like get the website and the DBA held? I know its a lot of work. And when I'm ready, I really want to be able to be fully prepared. I'm sure I'm going to incur annoying costs, but I'm ok with that as long as its worth it.

Does anyone have any advice or maybe what you did?

Oh, also. On a side note, DH and I have been talking about having an LLC, but we don't think we're quite ready for it. Is it difficult to go from a sole proprietorship to an LLC once you've already started?

Thanks in advance. This site has already been so helpful for me! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 4

I'll answer the easy part of the question.

YES! At GoDaddy you can grab a domain for a year for $10. In the past I've owned a bunch of interesting domain names that I've never used. I also filed assumed several names. I think that's about $8-$10 in my state. Cheap and it keeps someone else from taking it.

SugarNSpiceDiva Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:58am
post #3 of 4

Whew! Thanks leah_s! I was beginning to think maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself. I'm really ambitious, but I have absolutely NO patience. I want to get stuff done and out of the way now! lol. Plus I really don't wanna have to change my idea for the name. Thank you for your response!

Another question if you don't mind. When I typed the .com into the browser, it brought me up to the Go Daddy site to purchase the domain. What is the best company to go through? I've seen a lot of stuff about vista print, yahoo, go daddy, free webs and another I can't remember the name of. I used to have a domain through freewebs when I was a wedding planner, but I didn't like the limited number of templates and it was a little too plain for me. The thing I did like though is that it allowed me to have my own email like [email protected]

I'd like to go through someone who is relatively inexpensive, has a nice design layout, but one that is user friendly. I don't know anything about coding. DH is going to school for it, so I want something that we can go from doing a template to him doing the coding for me when he learns how. Also the email thing was pretty cool and it looked way more professional than a yahoo or hotmail.

Sorry that was so long. Any suggestions on some good companies to get a website through?

I ask a lot of questions. I don't know what I'd do without this site. lol.

kiikip Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 3:41am
post #4 of 4

SugarnSpiceDiva,

I live in Sacramento, prior military myself as well so I know the potential gold mine you have with a baking talent on a military base. Okay so getting your business lic. in California is quick , cheap and easy just find where your business lic office is and it should only cost about 40.00 bucks for lic. and another 40.00 for ficticous business name rehistration for sole pro. although if you are doing llc it cost more and you have to register with the secretary of state also because the ficticous name is city by city if you do llc you have to chaeck on avaiability of the business name on a larger scale(i forgot where my tax advisor said you can do this when I inquired about going llc) anyway for cali law, you have to have a commercial kitchen, you have to be food safety certified as well, so check with your local health department for classes and locations, I paid like 115 for a class and am nationally safety certified for 5yrs at a time, the Helath department permit fee is like 200.00 also you will need to go to the franchise tax board and get a seller's permit (free) as you have to file state taxes quarterly ( but baked goods aren't taxable) also with a permit you can purchase supplies wholesale oh and contact the IRS and get a Federal tax id number.

As far as websites and web domain name check out my site www.sweetexpressionsdesserts.net if you like it contact [email protected] They are very resonable.

Fell free to contact me with any questions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%