Template ??

Decorating By erilay Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 12:21am by zdebssweetsj

erilay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erilay Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:15am
post #1 of 6

What is the best way to make a template? I am trying to do the SF from the 49ers for a football cake and want to gete it just right. I printed it out and used an exacto blade to cut it out of cardboard. I am going to use the cardoard to cut out the fondant. The cardboard is not that smooth thought and i am worried the image will look sloppy. Any help... Please. icon_redface.gif

5 replies
erilay Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:22am
post #2 of 6

icon_cry.gif
Ok I just tries to use my template... bad news. It failed. My fondant might be too sticky because it is so hard to cut. It keeps pulling. The sf are so small and have such tight curves that it is soooo hard to cut out. Please help. If someone knows a trick or better way that would be awesome. Should I use gum paste? Should I just use regular cardboard. I don't know but I am running out of ideas....

OH, I used a corrugated cardboard. It is kind of sloppy though and maybe just regular cardboard or paper or foam would be better????

It is also sticking to the template. Should I use corn starch or crisco???

backermeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
backermeister Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 6

Hi. I have found that cardboard like from a cereal box tends to work better than the corrugated. It is thinner but much easier to cut and control. After I cut out my template I place a cutout from waxed paper on the side that will be against your fondant. Normally a thin coat of shortening on the waxed paper will prevent sticking. hth icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 6

1) use card stock for template (like index cards are made from, comes in 8.5x11 and even 11x17 sheets)

2) thin fondant -- don't go past 1/8" thick if possible

3)allow fondant to dry out a bit before cutting --- do test cuts on scrap area to see when dry enough to not stick (thinner fondant will set up faster)

4) powdered sugar between template and fondant

5) brand new exacto blade!

6) hold the knife body the same way as properly taught to hold a pen/pencil with the blade at about a 45 degree angle -- too shallow or to high and it will just tear it all up (especially too high)

7) double trace method may help too -- do NOT try to cut all the way through in one pass. Trace once. Trace twice. most times this will be enough to get all the way through. (For very thin, will stiffened fondant, this will probably not be necessary)

8 ) for curves -- TURN THE PIECE not the blade! -- odd but it works. always try to be pulling the blade in a straight line toward you. Turn the piece under the blade to do the curves (think of it this way -- do you turn the fabric or the sewing machine when sewing around a curve? the fabric of course! so here it would be the fondant that would be turned)

9) also for curves --- start at the sharpest point and cut out to the most rounded -- and do as two cuts, one in each direction away from the sharpest point.

erilay Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6

I did not think I would get an answer on that one.

Could not have asked for a better answer. Thanks so much.. All my ?'were answered.. I was going to buy an edible image tonight of 2 letters..., How silly. Perfect timing

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 12:21am
post #6 of 6

Haven't needed this yet , but glad for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%