Why Is My Modeling Chocolate So Greasy?

Decorating By Cathy230 Updated 6 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm by mim1106

Cathy230 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:31am
post #1 of 5

I made modeling chocolate today to make a character for a cake. I used 7oz of white chocolate and 2T of corn syrup. I mixed it and then let it "set up" in the fridge for 2 hours. I have been working with it, making my character, but am curious as to why it is so greasy? Any ideas?

4 replies
Ellistwins Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 6:45am
post #2 of 5

My modeling chocolate was just as greasy. However it was the first time I've worked with this recipe. The previous recipe i've used was mixed with Sugarpaste. I couldn't understand. The fat was literally dripping from the paste. My sugarpaste was also crumbling and hubby and me had to sit with small balls and need is thoroughly. Although the fat was still dripping, i couldn't understand why it wouldn't bind.

ChocolateCraftKits Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 6:31am
post #3 of 5

When there is too much fat to create a balanced emulsion, the fat "leaks" out of the mix. You need more non-fat liquid to bind the fat and make a balanced mix. You can repair the greasy stuff but it will take some work - have all ingredients at body temperature and work a little corn syrup at a time into the mix until it blends. Working on marble or a cool table will keep the mix from getting too warm as you work in the liquid.

The recipe you used did not have enough corn syrup in it.
1 pound semi-sweet (dark) chocolate
5 fluid ounces (7.5 oz or 210 grams by weight) of light corn syrup...this is about 2/3 cup
For white or milk chocolate, use 1 oz less than you would for dark chocolate. Thus, use 4 fl. oz corn syrup or 6 oz/168 grams by weight for 1 lb. white or milk chocolate. Peggy@chocolate craft kits.com

Loucinda Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

You don't put it in the refrigerator - just wrap it and let it set on the counter.

mim1106 Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 5:56pm
post #5 of 5

mine gets really greasy, too after it sits for a while, but when I play with it (squish it back and forth in my hands) for a couple minutes it fixes itself every time and goes right back to normal.

Quote by @%username% on %date%