Igloo W/o Fondant

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 12:19am by Darth_Aerdna

auntmamie Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have tips on making an igloo without fondant? I have tried different types, but get a lot of crap whenever I bring it to work. Since my office is paying me full price for this cake icon_biggrin.gif I want to make it something that everyone will like.

The cake is a double layer 11x15 Scratch WASC, covered in a base coat of blue BC, then white BC for snow, with a half ball pan igloo on top. Is there a good way to frost the igloo w/ BC, or will sugar cubes work? I truthfully think sugar cubes would be really good considering that igloos are blocks of ice, but won't do it if it'll look like crap.

7 replies
JGMB Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 8

How about making white modeling chocolate, rolling it out, cutting it into squares, then applying them to the igloo?

Just a thought!

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 8

If you get the BC nice and smooth (Melvira method, maybe) then you could let it crust and then make lines in it to be the ice blocks.

cownsj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 8

I think the sugar cubes are worth a try. You can shape it using just water. And, you could make it now and know for sure if it will work. It won't go bad.

Spills Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 8

I made an igloo with buttercream, but had the entrance fondant...but that's basically all I did is what Texas_Rose said. I also painted a little bit of blue in the lines to emphasize them.

pattycakesnj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 8

I just did one all in BC. Used the viva paper towel method to smooth and then drew the lines with a stick. The little entrance I made with really thick BC so that I could mold it into tunnel shape.

Adrienne0317 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 8

Mini Marshmellows. They work great.

Darth_Aerdna Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #8 of 8

I saw a woman make one out of a waffle ice cream bowl upside down.
Then she piped buttercream on it to look like bricks, but fluffed them up a little bit to look like snow

Quote by @%username% on %date%