Igloo W/o Fondant

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 12:19am by Darth_Aerdna

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have tips on making an igloo without fondant? I have tried different types, but get a lot of crap whenever I bring it to work. Since my office is paying me full price for this cake icon_biggrin.gif I want to make it something that everyone will like.

The cake is a double layer 11x15 Scratch WASC, covered in a base coat of blue BC, then white BC for snow, with a half ball pan igloo on top. Is there a good way to frost the igloo w/ BC, or will sugar cubes work? I truthfully think sugar cubes would be really good considering that igloos are blocks of ice, but won't do it if it'll look like crap.

Thanks!

7 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 8

How about making white modeling chocolate, rolling it out, cutting it into squares, then applying them to the igloo?

Just a thought!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 8

If you get the BC nice and smooth (Melvira method, maybe) then you could let it crust and then make lines in it to be the ice blocks.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 8

I think the sugar cubes are worth a try. You can shape it using just water. And, you could make it now and know for sure if it will work. It won't go bad.

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:12pm
post #5 of 8

I made an igloo with buttercream, but had the entrance fondant...but that's basically all I did is what Texas_Rose said. I also painted a little bit of blue in the lines to emphasize them.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1182657.html

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:25pm
post #6 of 8

I just did one all in BC. Used the viva paper towel method to smooth and then drew the lines with a stick. The little entrance I made with really thick BC so that I could mold it into tunnel shape.

Adrienne0317 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adrienne0317 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 10:54pm
post #7 of 8

Mini Marshmellows. They work great.

Darth_Aerdna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darth_Aerdna Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:19am
post #8 of 8

I saw a woman make one out of a waffle ice cream bowl upside down.
Then she piped buttercream on it to look like bricks, but fluffed them up a little bit to look like snow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%