Would Anyone Make Sandra Lee's Kwanzaa Cake?!

Lounge By CeeTee Updated 8 Dec 2009 , 3:28am by Joyfull4444

CeeTee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CeeTee Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:47pm
post #1 of 64

Ok, I realize I am a warped person to start, but the idea just came up today for me to make the infamous Sandra Lee Kwanzaa cake for our office holiday party. Totally as a joke of course! We have one co-worker who celebrates Kwanzaa and she thinks the cake is the funniest thing ever, so there's no worries about accidentally offending anyone.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else out there on CC who would ever make this cake as a joke, or (I shudder to think) has actually had this cake.

Video of the monstrosity is here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/kwanzaa-cake/1455.html

(At least I know better than to make her Non-Kosher Haunaka cake, complete with eight point Star of David)
http://www.semihomemade.com/entertaining/10_hanukkah.htm

63 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 64

Oh my gawwwd, it's THE cake! Has it been a year already? That was the scraiest thing ever.

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:53pm
post #3 of 64

how do people think that this is good? i mean it honestly seems like a joke to me. corn nuts on cake? really?

Sunflower08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunflower08 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 64

That looks nasty...

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 64

This should be in the "Cake Wrecks" book. ha! icon_lol.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 64

No way in HECK i'd make or eat that. I don't know much about Kwanzaa, but what's the significance? i mean how is this cake related to Kwanzaa? it not only looks nasty, I don't see how the flavors would even be good together.

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:18pm
post #7 of 64

OMG! icon_eek.gif That cake is a hot mess! icon_confused.gif It looks bad, and chocolate store brought frosting with corn nuts on angel food cake with canned apple filling in the middle...I mean...OMG what was she smokin that day? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:22pm
post #8 of 64

I imagine she couldn't wait on the director to say "CUT" so she could throw that crap in the trash!

TerriLynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLynn Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #9 of 64

I wonder if she had a holiday "cocktail" before she started decorating. (I'm feeling a little mean today aren't I?) ha ha!! icon_razz.gif

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:31pm
post #10 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimpleBaker

OMG! icon_eek.gif That cake is a hot mess! icon_confused.gif It looks bad, and chocolate store brought frosting with corn nuts on angel food cake with canned apple filling in the middle...I mean...OMG what was she smokin that day? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

The cake is a hot mess? SHE is the hot mess!!!!!!!
She needs to stick to "COCKTAIL TIME"!!!!!!! icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:38pm
post #11 of 64

If I had to eat things like that, I'd be as skinny as she is icon_biggrin.gif

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASimpleBaker

That wasn't chocolate store bought icing, it was vanilla store bought icing with cocoa and cinnamon added. Much much worse. I love Pillsbury choc fudge icing on devils food cake, YUM! But the white/vanilla icing I couldn't gag down if I had to. And I've had to try.

That video was hilarious. How did the woman get on TV, if that's any indication of her talents? The cake looked hideous. My mil couldn't come up with something that yucky. The only way I'd waste my moo-la making that is if it WAS as a joke, and there was going to be something really good to make up for it.

Is there some significance to the particular embellishments she used? Pumpkin seeds and what were the others acorns? Is there an edible meat in acorns?

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:44pm
post #13 of 64

Oy. That's just not right.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:47pm
post #14 of 64

I think I threw up in my mouth when I watched that. tapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 64

Um, little botany lesson for Ms. Sandra Lee:

Corn Nuts = from a corn stalk, toasted, and served at a bar!

Acorns = from an oak tree, squirrels eat them.

Since when are the two even remotely the same?!?!?!?!?!?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:53pm
post #16 of 64

icon_surprised.gif wow, that's a Kwanzza cake?1 she didn't really have me and then totally lost me with the corn nuts. icon_confused.gif

Stephi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stephi1 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:01pm
post #17 of 64

EPIC FAIL!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:01pm
post #18 of 64

You have to watch the one with her showing Mario Lopez how to decorate a $40 store bought cake with cookies and make it look like a $400 cake.
My DH watched it and was about ready to pass out he was laughing so hard.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:02pm
post #19 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

The only way I'd waste my moo-la making that is if it WAS as a joke, and there was going to be something really good to make up for it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Only if everyone knew the origins of that particular cake and it was done as a joke, and ONLY with a backup cake to make up for it would I consider doing it. Not much work involved, store bought cake, store bought icing, store bought canned apple filling....... so it could be done as a joke.

Anyone out here willing to try making any part of this and tasting it for everyone??????????

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:04pm
post #20 of 64

"Is there an edible meat in acorns?"

I meant edible for humans. LOL I know the squirrels in my yard eat them almost before they hit the ground.

If those were corn nuts they're the biggest ones I ever saw. I used to eat them when I was in high school. Today I have no absolutely idea why. But to put the things on a cake! I mean why?? Are they significant to Kwanza??

This has been THE funniest day on cc for threads. Pure therapy after a week of being sick.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:09pm
post #21 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi1

EPIC FAIL!!!

Of EPIC proportions...and LOVE your avatar! icon_twisted.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:19pm
post #22 of 64

I like angel food cake. I love chocolate. I'm a cinnamon-aholic.

I don't eat a lot of pumpkin seeds or acorns or corn nuts myself but if I understand this correctly they are imagery included in the Kwanzaa celebration.

Corn kernels represent the children.

Seeds represent the harvest.

Fruits represents the work of the family/community.

I don't celebrate Kwanzaa and I'm not a Sandra Lee devotee but I think she's very successful/admirable and Kwanzaa's ok. Why not.

I thought we were gonna be a kinder gentler cake forum.

signed,
party pooper

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:24pm
post #23 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I don't eat a lot of pumpkin seeds or acorns or corn nuts myself but if I understand this correctly they are imagery included in the Kwanzaa celebration.

I don't celebrate Kwanzaa and I'm not a Sandra Lee devotee but I think she's very successful/admirable and Kwanzaa's ok. Why not.

signed,
party pooper

icon_confused.gif Really? This is off base too? ((sigh)) Whatevs. icon_rolleyes.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #24 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

signed,
party pooper

OK, who are you and what have you done with our K8?! icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #25 of 64

Miss Party Pooper,

I don't think we're being mean, I think the idea of corn nuts on a cake is just making everybody's head spin.

Signed,

Little Miss Sunshine icon_biggrin.gif

PS. When I was pregnant I ate hot cheetos crumbled into pecan pralines and cream ice cream...but corn nuts on a cake is too weird for even me.

__Jamie__ Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:28pm
post #26 of 64

I think it's possible to join in a little fun poking at an obvious train wreck of a cake by a high profile celebri-tee. They kind of sign up for it when they go so high profile. Tell you what-when I'm a rock star, I'll give you plenty of fodder for gossip. And laugh while I count my millions. icon_biggrin.gif Really, you could loosen up a bit with this one. Maybe just a wee bit.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:29pm
post #27 of 64
Quote:
Quote:

Well, I didn't agree to that icon_razz.gif And that woman absolutely must be sleeping with somebody or have pictures of the president of the food network naked playing golf with Satan...

Seriously, if one of my kids produced any of thise cakes, I'd be embarrassed.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #28 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

PS. When I was pregnant I ate hot cheetos crumbled into pecan pralines and cream ice cream...but corn nuts on a cake is too weird for even me.

Omg--this ^^^ is disgusting--cheetos made sweet I'm gonna have nightmares now--oh dear--oh dear.

Well h yes corn nuts on anything is weird corn nuts all by themselves are weird squared.

The cake is weird --but it is symbolic--in it's own unique way.

I mean I think about it like if she posted it on here--it might not be anyone's 'fave'--it might not have pages of congratulatory posts but we'd be civil...for the most part.

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:32pm
post #29 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

And that woman absolutely must be sleeping with somebody or have pictures of the president of the food network naked playing golf with Satan...

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Ever seen the South Park movie, they weren't playing golf but that reminded me of it icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 9:40pm
post #30 of 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkybaker

Quote:
Quote:

Well, I didn't agree to that icon_razz.gif And that woman absolutely must be sleeping with somebody or have pictures of the president of the food network naked playing golf with Satan...

Seriously, if one of my kids produced any of thise cakes, I'd be embarrassed.

Yeah for sure but she's got the big tv show, I dust book shelves and you hurry dollars into payroll. Go figure.

But let me hasten to edit ~~you've been on tv too--just a matter of time before you have your own show huh??!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%