3 Tier Cake. Bottom Support?

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 5 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm by tonedna

CAKEahuna Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 13

I am making my first 3 tier cake. 2 questions...What kind of support do you use for the base? and What do you use for each of the 3 sections for the bottom? Cardboard, Plastic? Thanks for your help..

12 replies
milkmaid42 Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 13

I like to use 1/2" foamcore for the bottom and 1/4" for subsequent tiers. I have totally stopped using cardboard since Sharon Zambito introduced me to foamcore. Good luck with your cake. Be sure to post a picture! HTH

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:30pm
post #3 of 13

I agree, foamcore is the way to go.

The 1/2" thick is expensive, so usually I will cut two pieces of 1/4" and glue them together for the bottom board. I cover it with fondant and glue a ribbon around the edge, but if you want something simpler, just cover it with foil. Then I use the 1/4" thick foamcore for the other boards. I cover them with press and seal wrap, and use the thick white plastic hollow dowels that Wilton sells.

CAKEahuna Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 13

Where do you buy it at?

Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 13

Buy it at the craft store or the Dollar Tree (but theirs is not quite as strong as the kind from the craft store). Use a box cutter to cut the shapes that you need...I trace the pans and then cut a little bit inside the outline I've made, because I want my boards the exact size or a tiny bit smaller than my cakes so the boards don't show. You can get a box cutter at Home Depot that opens out like a pocket knife. It's a lot easier to use than the normal kind.

milkmaid42 Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:44am
post #6 of 13

I also find the 1/2" expensive, so whenever I have a coupon from Michaels that is what I go in for. Sometimes it is even 50% off, usually 40%. And that is the only thing I get. I know it is a loss leader to get me in, but if I practice discipline...I have been able to stock up fairly reasonably.
As far as cutting the darn stuff, I have arthritis in my hands and the box cutter or even Xacto is difficult. I never can get a nice, not crumbly or jagged cut. It has been the bane of my cake existence. After reading a tip here on CC I purchased a hot knife. I am eager to try it out for a cake due the first of the week. Hope it works on the freeform design I have in mind.

leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:57am
post #7 of 13

I use cake drums for the bottom, and cardboard and SPS for the rest.

sadsmile Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 1:58am
post #8 of 13

I know everyone loves foam core and tons use it, and there's nothing wrong with using it as long as it is covered in a food safe material. I just prefer something absolutely rigid for a bottom base. Foam Core can still flex. Especially for a heavy cake. I like Masonite, covered of coarse or a round mirror covered or not.
But if you don't want to worry about getting anything back... then Indydebi said something once about using three or four cardboard bases and inserting wooden skewers into them where the corrugation is and then gluing them together and stacking them with the corrugation going in opposite directions. Just slide a couple skewers into each cardboard circle at spaced differences. She said that makes it pretty rigid and still throw away.

JenniferMI Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 3:04am
post #9 of 13

I'm a 3/4" plywood base girl...all the way, everytime. I want as sturdy a base as possible.

Jen icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 13

I use 3 cardboards, wrapped in decorative foil. They hold up fine.

aundrea Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:03pm
post #11 of 13

i use foam core doubled and plywood for the base all covered in press-n-seal then fondant if needed or fancy foi.
so far ...knock, knock...never a problem.
although im jinxing myself because i have a 3 tier im working on for tomorrow and im undecided whether to bring it stacked or just add the top tier there.
i know everyone swears by SPS- but i havent tried it. its a bit expensive compared to what i use. but im sure if my cake tumbles tomorrow-ill re-think that comment.
good luck!

madgeowens Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 13

I use foam board from walmart and cake boards in between, and stake supports in each layer either wilton plastic that I cut or dowels. hth

tonedna Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 13

I use Cake Drums
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%