3 Tier Cake. Bottom Support?

Decorating By CAKEahuna Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm by prterrell

CAKEahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKEahuna Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 3

I am making my first 3 tier cake. 2 questions...What kind of support do you use for the base? and What do you use for each of the 3 sections for the bottom? Cardboard, Plastic? Thanks for your help..

2 replies
cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 3

Hi! And hope your cake is going well!
And here's hoping that you've done some searching here on cc to find the answers you are looking for!

Here's my 2 cents:

I use a cake drum or several layers (2 or 3) of foamcore board for my base board. I make mine at least 4 inches bigger than the size of the cake tier= a 14" cake on an 18" board.

Many decorators here on the board use the single-plate support system, but if you have only access to Wilton products, you can achieve the same idea with a separator plate and a set of Hidden Pillars. You will need a serated knife to cut the pillars to the height of each cake.

Other options are wide, thick drinking straws, "cake-jacks"(adjustable plastic dowel rods) or wooden dowel rods and the use of foamcore board between each tier. With this method you can use a sharpened dowel rod to drive thru the entire tiered cake for stability.

As I said, there are many tutorials available on youtube and here on cc....or even check the back of a Wilton Yearbook!

Good Luck!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 8:16pm
post #3 of 3

Cake drum on bottom, SPS for internal supports (SPS consists of special plastic dowels and plastic cake plates that lock together).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%