Newbie Here: Chocolate Bc Or Brown Food Colouring?

Decorating By Pickulz Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm by TexasSugar

Pickulz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pickulz Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 5

I wanted to make a brown/pink cake combo and figured I could either make a chocolate BC or colour my white BC brown? Right? I dont need a specific brown colour..but would like a dark brown.

I use Indydebi's BC recipe for my cakes...shud i just add some cocoa? Any idea how much.
Or shud I add some brown food colouring to the white BC i make?

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, if the cake is not a chocolate cake, then I would add some brown food colouring to the bc. icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 5

It just depends if you want chocolate or not. I use Indydebi's recipe too and I usually add 3/4 cup cocoa powder to one batch, plus a little more liquid (I use amaretto but you could use a little extra milk instead). Different cocoa powders make different browns so if it's still too light then a tiny bit of brown color would work.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 5

I'd go for chocolate. Every time I want brown, it's usually a dark brown color that I'm trying to achieve ... and that could take a lot of food coloring (especially if you're using Wilton brand gel). I'm assuming you want a rich/dark brown as well if it's combo'd with pink. My two cents.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 6:36pm
post #5 of 5

I have trouble getting the brown color I want from brown colors, so if chocolate goes with my cake flavor then I make chocolate icing.

You can add cocoa powder, special dark cocoa powder or melted chocolate (bars, chips or candy melts) to your icing. How much depends on how dark and the flavor you want. You will also need to add a little extra liquid cause the chocolate will cause the icing to be thicker/drier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%