Need Help With Rice Paper

Decorating By meenu Updated 7 Dec 2009 , 11:48am by icingimages

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 12:37pm
post #1 of 7

I just finished a cake with a hand painted rice paper picture on buttercream icing (Obama cake in my pictures). It is for a birthday party this afternoon. This is my first time using rice paper. The paper started tearing from the paint so I had to use another sheet under it. I cut the picture and put it on top of the cake but it looks like paper icon_sad.gif . I,m wondering what should I do so that the rice paper blends into the buttercream. Please help!

6 replies
jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 7

The rice paper does not blend into buttercreme like Icing paper. Just place a boarder around your pic to cover the edges and amke it look a little more relaxed look. HTH

meenu Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your reply Juboeno, I brushed the bottom of the picture with water and pasted it onto buttercream. I also put a buttercream border around the picture as you'd suggested. I hope the water doesn't make the colour bleed - we'll find out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 12:02am
post #4 of 7

Next time you may want to paint on icing sheets. Wafer paper really does tend to degrade from painting. (voice of experience)

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Dec 2009 , 2:52am
post #5 of 7

I've painted on it using EverClear. That has almost no water in it. But, it's hard to get WP to blend into the icing like a icing sheet does.

Jen icon_smile.gif

meenu Posted 6 Dec 2009 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks Leah & Jennifer! Next time I'll try using icing sheets.

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 7 Dec 2009 , 11:48am
post #7 of 7

We carry a thicker icing sheet, our premium brand that would work well with this. I would be concerned that the colors go throug our other lines of icing sheets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%