The Mcqueen Cake

Decorating By Mandeepthemom Updated 4 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm by GuinnessTigger

Mandeepthemom Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 5:49am
post #1 of 2

Hi everyone, love the site and all you professionals who help us newbies...
I am making (attempting) to make a Lightning Mcqueen cake.
I just got a 3-D cake pan, so I will use that for my base ( I hate stacking cakes) and carving it a bit to look like Mcqueen

1) Should I use a pound cake as I hear they are better for the carving that I would have to do (wilton has a Cream cheese pound cake on their site)
2), Do I have to tort and fill this cake..I prefer not to but is it taboo to serve a cake with no filling ( I dont have to slice the 3D car, fill it and stack it again, not my area of expertise)

3) I want to make the race car shiny...should I use pastry brush and put piping gel all over it on it or should I use luster dust...if the latter, which color...or do you think it would look tacky if it were shiny (mcqueen is shiny)...BTW, my Mcqueen accents (the number 95 will be either rice paper or fondant)

Attached is a copy of lightning mcqueen from another cc'er

Thanks for your insight

1 reply
GuinnessTigger Posted 4 Dec 2009 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 2

Sounds like it will be a very cute cake.

1) I carve most of my cakes but hand and have had success with pound cake. I haven't tried the wilton rcipe. The other option, which I find great is WASC. There is a great recipe on this site.

2) Regarding filling, I have done both filling and no filling. I have found that for some kids they prefer no filling. If you are making the cake in the pan you purchased, it might be difficult to cut it and fill it while keeping the correct shape.

3) Not sure about rice paper because I have never tried it before, but would be very interested to see how the rice paper woud work!

Good Luck - sounds fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%